MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

RZM Enamel sign

Article about: Just wanted to get some of your opinions on this porcelain sign that I purchased today, I have only seen one other like it befor. Thanks

Thank all for your help with determining the authenticity of this sign. Without the experts on this form it would be nearly impossible to determine weather a sign like this was real or fake.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RZM Enamel sign
    P
    Many

It is never a good sign when two examples of a previously unknown sign appear at the same time. Especially with one coming off Ebay
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

If it's flat, that would be a bad indicator I would think. If it's domed, I would feel a little better about it. Either way, it's a cool looking sign if you didn't put out too much for it. But knowing you have something authentic is always nice.

It is domed.

mpw
    ?

I have been collecting porcelain enamel signs for some time and from the photos it looks period. Enamel signage was popular from Victorian times up to the 1960's. The earlier pieces were of heavy steel construction with thick enamel and the later ones were made with a thinner gauge steel and enamel. Eventually they were phased out being replaced with either pressed steel or aluminium, screen printing etc.
    Looking at your photos the enamel looks thick where there is damage around the mounting holes and the back is black which is another good sign.
    Later copied signs from the 70's to the present day are always poor quality compared to the original thing. Not surprising really as it would be very expensive indeed to replicate the manufacturing process today. So making a batch in the older style and knocking them off on Ebay for 60 quid doesn't make a lot of economic sense to me.

Regards, Mark.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3