Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)

Article about: I’m not sure that the Forum is ready for such a rare and peculiar award as this but here goes… It was awarded by the Reichsverband deutscher Schafzüchter (aka Reichsverband der deutschen Sch

?

Default ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)

I’m not sure that the Forum is ready for such a rare and peculiar award as this but here goes…

It was awarded by the Reichsverband deutscher Schafzüchter (aka Reichsverband der deutschen Schafzüchter), the Reich Association of German Sheep Farmers, one of the affiliated organisations of the Reichsnährstand (German Food Estate). As you will see below, it was awarded in 1941 to Erich Kückens, of Hiddigwarden bei Berne, ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht). Quite what these services were is now lost to history but are quite probably recorded on the yellow pages of a periodical in some German library or archive. Information available on the ‘net about the RDS is next to nothing. The piece with the inscription on also has the Reichsnährstand version of the swastika.

However, my question is about the award itself. I know people on this forum enjoy a puzzle so am hoping for some suggestions of what this looked like when it was complete. Shown below are two discs, each of 70mm diameter and 3mm thick, each has on the reverse two pairs of thin flexible brass tabs to secure them – but to what?

The person I bought them from suggested they were originally on a wooden plaque but I can’t see that and the fixing on the reverse look too thin and short for that application. I wondered if they might have originally been attached to some sort of leather folder, with the rams head roundel on the front and the piece with the inscription within, perhaps accompanied by the certificate. This is a pretty wild guess.

If I have read the tiny raised letters (pic 1.) correctly, the manufacturer was Vertel of Berlin. I’m still struggling with Gothic script so would welcome correction if this is wrong.

Regards, Philip

Although this is an award, I thought it 'exotic' enough to go in this part of forum. If the moderator disagrees, I would be grateful if they move it.

‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)

‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)
    P
    Many

nice items,maybe clipped to a cap or smock?or belt.

- - ------- - -

I wont do jokes.he he he .

It's an award for achievements in the breeding of sheep...
    Glenn

?

That's a lovely set of awards! I really like these sorts of rural and cultural items. I believe the last letter of the manufacturer's name is 'k,' although it's hard to read from the pictures.

Hi Philip,

Perhaps they were from the centre of a rosette or off prize winners sash that was pinned or hung from the handsome ovine beast??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and for resisting the temptations of sheep related humour…

Glenn, I imagine that you are right, its difficult to imagine what else such an award could be for.

Erno, glad you liked them, they are lovely quality and very unusual. I’ve attached another pic of the maker’s name – it’s a little better but not great. I need to work on my photography skills.

Philip

‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Perhaps they were from the centre of a rosette or off prize winners sash that was pinned or hung from the handsome ovine beast??
    Ned, Thank you for that insightful suggestion, which I think may have legs... I had wondered something similar myself and even had a look for sheep awards from before the Nazi period for something similar. I didn't manage to find anything really, but then the history of German sheep husbandry is -- so far -- quite 'niche'. As with other awards, these agricultural awards were often quite similar to pre-1933 things with the NS symbols added.

Philip

Just found this on Ebay, for equine prize winners but the similarity in construction is remarkable.

Vintage Round Copper Horse Metal Emblem or Award Ribbon Topper Rosette | eBay

Sorry for the minute attached pic's, the link will have to do i'm afraid.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)  ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht) 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Philip - nice find - the inscription reads" Erich Kurkens , Hiddigwarden by Bern in Osterreich(Austria)". Hes the fella who got the award and the location.
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Quote by Horst View Post
    Philip - nice find - the inscription reads" Erich Kurkens , Hiddigwarden by Bern in Osterreich(Austria)". Hes the fella who got the award and the location.
    Horst
    Thanks, Horst. However, I think that location is probably in Lower Saxony. There is a Hiddigwarden roughly equidistant between Bremen and Oldenburg (according to Google Maps). I found that the Landesbibliothek Oldenburg has digitised a book which shows a Kückens family of Hiddigwarden (Text - Digitalisierung Landesbibliothek Oldenburg - Digitale Sammlungen). Berne is a municipality in the district of Wesermarsch, in Lower Saxony.

Regards, Philip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast