Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)

Article about: I’m not sure that the Forum is ready for such a rare and peculiar award as this but here goes… It was awarded by the Reichsverband deutscher Schafzüchter (aka Reichsverband der deutschen Sch

?

Thanks to Ned for the link to the similar horse award - I'm beginning to feel that a rosette or similar was the most likely setting for these two pieces. I'll try to find some more examples.

Regards, Philip

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)
    P
    Many

?

I have seen it as medals only
    Attached Images Attached Images ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)  ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht) 

?

Quote by leuss View Post
    I have seen it as medals only
    Thank you for posting those interesting pictures and welcome to the forum. That's a fine medal - is it in your collection?

Regards, Philip

?

no, the both are from two completed auctions and I have the pictures for my archive only.

But I have another medals for sheep breeding in my small collection - for example these two State Prizes are very nice
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)   ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)  

?

Quote by leuss View Post
    no, the both are from two completed auctions and I have the pictures for my archive only.

But I have another medals for sheep breeding in my small collection - for example these two State Prizes are very nice
    Thanking you for showing those two fine medals - its a pleasure to see them. I recall seeing a similar silver medal recently for sale, but the price was too high for me.

Unlike the other awards shown in this thread, I understand that these are medals awarded by the Minister für Ernährung und Landwirtschaft - Minister for Food and Agriculture. One of the interesting features of this field of collecting is that there are so many different awards issued at both national and provincial level. In fact, I would imagine that it is most diverse sector of all Third Reich awards, other areas having being standardised across the Reich as a whole.

Philip

?

And I have some medals for goat breeding... not the same as the sheeps, but closely related to them
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)   ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)  

‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)   ‘For services to the German sheep’ (Für Verdienste um die deutsche Schafzucht)  

The quality and detail is remarkable, thanks for showing these.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

this porcelain one is well known - Meeting of saxonian butchers in Dresden

Quote by Horst View Post
    Philip - nice find - the inscription reads" Erich Kurkens , Hiddigwarden by Bern in Osterreich(Austria)". Hes the fella who got the award and the location.
    Horst

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    Thanks, Horst. However, I think that location is probably in Lower Saxony. There is a Hiddigwarden roughly equidistant between Bremen and Oldenburg (according to Google Maps). I found that the Landesbibliothek Oldenburg has digitised a book which shows a Kückens family of Hiddigwarden (Text - Digitalisierung Landesbibliothek Oldenburg - Digitale Sammlungen). Berne is a municipality in the district of Wesermarsch, in Lower Saxony.

Regards, Philip
    Philip is right.

Note that it says "i.O.", not "i.Ö"; also, Hiddigwarden is an unmistakeably North German type of geographical designation that would be very much out of place in Austria.

The "i.O." stands for "in Oldenburg", which in this case does not refer to the eponymous city, but the Oldenburg territory, which was, at various times, an earldom, a duchy, a grand duchy, a state, an administrative district and now a region.

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    If I have read the tiny raised letters (pic 1.) correctly, the manufacturer was Vertel of Berlin. I’m still struggling with Gothic script so would welcome correction if this is wrong.
    The name is Oertel, actually. More precisely, the company was called the Berliner Medaillen-Münze Otto Oertel.

?

Thank you to leuss for sharing some more beautiful items from his collection, as Ned says, the designs are striking and beautifully executed.

I am also most grateful to HPL2008 for his comments on the location mentioned on the original award posted and for his correction on the name of the maker. Now that I know that it was made by Otto Oertel, a quick search brings up many hits, clearly a significant producer, which I shall try to learn more about.

Regards, Philip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast