Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat

Article about: I came across this beer mat when purchasing a copy of Mein Kampf and wondered if anyone else has come across one before? My research suggests the obvious - that it is from the SS Cantine in

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I will move this thread to the Third Reich Art and Exotica..the content of the topic has nothing to do with uniforms nor accessories. Regards Larry
    Thank you, wise master, and please help keep our happy meadow clean and bright!

See what happened when the shop steward at Deschler drank too much....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat
    P
    Many

Something for the coasters!! just a joke people

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Oh well. The item in question is absurd and no one seriously can think such an item to be original.
    Hmm....I wonder if the pronouncement of one of the major SS collectors in the World qualifies as "One who Knows".... Probably not, I suppose. No doubt our disdainful question asker will still need to continue and have the paper tested for age because......Just Maybe......there Has to be Someone out there 'who Knows" this thing is real and worth a fortune...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

For the original post...the Obersalzburg doesn't align with the SS runes..

Quote by BullandHaynes View Post
    Swords and rings, yes. Match boxes, yes. Beer mats, possible considering they made match boxes.

As I mentioned earlier I am not making a stance that this beer mat is genuine but it looks very aged (not overly visible in the pictures) and I would like to look into it some more before dismissing it as others do just on the assumption rather than the evidence.

After some discussion with someone who authenticates autographs it seems that putting an age on a paper item is quite easy as paper in those days was not completely acid free and had a tendency to eat itself. Unfortunately he does not do these tests himself but I will approach a University for some help on this along with contacting the Hofbrauhaus to see if they have any records of these being produced.

Swords and rings - easy to tell the fakes from the genuine however an item such as a beer mat takes some more looking into...unless you are happy to make an assumption that they were never made during the period of the war.

I'm not a fan of ping pong messaging in forums when it's not going anywhere so I will sign off and post a message here again when I have some results to conclude as to whether this was produced during the war or is just idiotic cheap post war garbage (which it could well be)
    I for one look forward to the results of analysis that Mr.B&H is going to have undertaken and his results reproduced here for all to see. Further than that, I feel little more needs adding as i'm hoping he will behave in a gentlemanly manner and honour his proclamation above.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well, it has pretty much all been said about why that beer coaster is without doubt a fantasy item, but there is a point that no one mentioned. Beer coasters world wide have a life expectancy of about six beers, and even those that are carried away as souvenirs don't last much longer. To seriously expect a product designed to be an expendable item could survive 69+ years in any recognizable shape, borders on self-delusion. And to believe that any dealer could have several in varying degrees of preservation, is to find the story of the Tooth Fairy plausible. P.T. Barnum was right. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Well, it has pretty much all been said about why that beer coaster is without doubt a fantasy item, but there is a point that no one mentioned. Beer coasters world wide have a life expectancy of about six beers, and even those that are carried away as souvenirs don't last much longer. To seriously expect a product designed to be an expendable item could survive 69+ years in any recognizable shape, borders on self-delusion. And to believe that any dealer could have several in varying degrees of preservation, is to find the story of the Tooth Fairy plausible. P.T. Barnum was right. Dwight
    Oh dear...six beers, really? What I Collect

Okey...that about wraps this one up, I'd say. Very long time and knowledgeable collectors and experts have now pronounced openly and in plain language, that this ridiculous beer mat is not and never was anything but a total fantasy item. Enough time and debate has been wasted on this nonsense. There is no way the OP will accept anything but the beer mat being a genuine rare and super valuable treasure to be fought over by the British Museum, the Smithsonian and perhaps even the Louvre. So, there you have it. It IS an Absolutely genuine and Authentic item that is So Rare it is a Miracle that it survives at all! It is worth a King's Ransom and will, doubtless, double in value every 3 months! WoW! What a Find!!!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

BullandHaynes-
    As a new member on our site, please show some respect for the opinions of seasoned collectors. If you do not wish to have their opinion, don't post. I have been at this a very long time and must agree that this is a fantasy non period item made to decieve the gullible. It is amazing what odd items are made to decieve.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    BullandHaynes-
    As a new member on our site, please show some respect for the opinions of seasoned collectors. If you do not wish to have their opinion, don't post. I have been at this a very long time and must agree that this is a fantasy non period item made to decieve the gullible. It is amazing what odd items are made to decieve.
    Well said. Mr. Coleman has collected for at least ten years longer than have I, and I respect his opinion with great energy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast