Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat

Article about: I came across this beer mat when purchasing a copy of Mein Kampf and wondered if anyone else has come across one before? My research suggests the obvious - that it is from the SS Cantine in

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    BullandHaynes-
    As a new member on our site, please show some respect for the opinions of seasoned collectors. If you do not wish to have their opinion, don't post. I have been at this a very long time and must agree that this is a fantasy non period item made to decieve the gullible. It is amazing what odd items are made to decieve.
    I respect the view of others which is why i asked in the first place but its a shame that so many seem very childish in their responses and try to put a new member down, i have said continuously throughout this thread that i am not saying that this beer mat is genuine (and if it was i wouldnt expect it to be worth more than the €90 that Sammlermarkt have two on offer for (does anyone know if Sammlermarkt sells genuine items or is it similar to Snyder?).

As i have said many times - with this particular item i have chosen to seek evidence rather than to right it off completely. Personal choice and just the way i work.

Regards
    Chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat
    P
    Many

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    BullandHaynes-
    As a new member on our site, please show some respect for the opinions of seasoned collectors. If you do not wish to have their opinion, don't post. I have been at this a very long time and must agree that this is a fantasy non period item made to decieve the gullible. It is amazing what odd items are made to decieve.
    Please also respect the fact that i am a new member and have no idea who any of the people who are replying on here are. I would be a fool to take anything said on here as the unquestionable truth, for example, when i need advice on Third Reich edged weapons i liaise with Thomas Wittman, for cutlery or train car numbers i would consult James Yannes, but on a forum that i have just joined and particularly with the way the comments are put to a new member on here i would be a fool than to take it with anymore than a pinch of salt to start with.

You are welcome to disregard anything that anyone tells you
    about your coaster on this - or other forums. It seems none
    of us here have faith in it, but would still like to know
    what you may find out about it elsewhere.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

I will add my honest opinion of the item, after 37 years of collecting this material. It is a fantasy item. Had the company used the SS runes, they would have been in deep trouble with the SS. Along with Bob, FB and myself plus the other guys we have a combinded collecting experience of around 150 years here. Trust me, it is junk.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Evidence has been supplied in this thread several times though, look back to post #19. You came to this site asking for help and once you received it and it wasn't what you wanted to hear you came to the decision "more evidence" was needed. You must understand, this same old situation we see over and over again can be quite frustrating, especially to educated collectors, and it had/has nothing to do with you being a new member here nor anyone trying to attack you or your item.
    I now say this with all do respect, but if you have been collecting Thrid Reich items 20 plus years than logically speaking, and considering the ideology of the SS, should've the facts alone of the SS history given you the answer needed with all certainty prior to the creating this thread?
    I also honestly believe, like Wagriff, if everyone here would've said this was an authentic item you would've been pleased with the results and jumped with joy screaming out thank you all for your help. But since it wasn't, now you must conduct your own test and such. Well though I think everyone can predict with complete certainty the results of said test, please do come back and post your findings. Now that this thread has gone into 32 plus post with absolutely no result you seem to be willing to accept I think it's the least you can do.
    And though it's not needed, it's my opinion the item you posted is nothing more than a fantasy item. I've based this upon logic and documents brought to our attention by collectors, historians, scholars and professors with more than 50 plus years alone of collecting these artifacts and studying it's history; these things have been discussed before on these fora.
    Good luck sir in your search for the answer you want.
    Additionally I'd like to say even though you may not like the responses you've received it is proper etiquette to say thank you, especially since you've used a ton of bandwidth on this pointless thread and were given countless answered based on rarely spoken of evidence from members who are not compensated for their time.

Guess i better not post my SS toilet paper to this thread then?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    You are welcome to disregard anything that anyone tells you
    about your coaster on this - or other forums. It seems none
    of us here have faith in it, but would still like to know
    what you may find out about it elsewhere.........
    Thanks Steve,

I don't have a great deal of faith in it myself but im quite stubborn and on this occasion would like hard fact evidence for piece of mind as it seems that nobody on here has come across them before. So evidence as a fake or original would be good for all.

Geoff Waldon (Third Reich In Ruins) came across one some years ago and has since seen a pile of them in an antique shop in Munich which then swayed him to assume they are fakes.

Sammlermarkt have two for sale for 90 Euros each.

Apart from this i have personally never come across one until a few weeks ago.

If it is a fake i would guess at it being at at least 20 years old and of good quality and consistent with other HBH beer mats.

I will try to find someone who would be willing to carry out some tests on it and have already taken the steps to contacting the HBH in Munich and a Bavarian collector.

Sad to see this thread degenerate into the oft seen newbie bashing, regardless of how misguided they might appear.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I had hoped I did not seem to you like
    I was brushing you off or away from WRF. I joined up here
    for the same reason - to learn if a couple of flags I bought
    were good or not ( turned out to be bad, lol ! )

Hope you stay on and experience all that we have to offer
    in combined knowledge and cameraderie.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4