Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Reich PLate

Article about: by stuka f Just wanted to ad my two cents.... I made a pic to compare the plate mark to one I have (who I assume it is good!)... Here the one on the left would give me more pause then the on

?

Alright think this topic has gone its stretch - everyone has their opinion and think these have all been expressed, so lets be big boys and get beyond this -

Have a great weekend
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Reich PLate
    P
    Many

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    Its 100% correct and your information is dated and wrong or partially wrong anyway. I have grounds to conclude its correct but they are not going on an internet board for some creep to use for dubious undertakings and to tell these guys what they do wrong. The plate is right, the cost is minimal generally.
    As far as I am aware, on this forum the general consensus of opinion is that the best way to combat fakers is to arm collectors with the knowledge that allows them to tell good from bad, rather than have that knowledge the private preserve of a select few, or in this case just one member. In most if not all cases, the fakers know what the real items look like, so providing a full detailed explanation of what is good or bad does not help them, rather it helps the collector.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    As far as I am aware, on this forum the general consensus of opinion is that the best way to combat fakers is to arm collectors with the knowledge that allows them to tell good from bad, rather than have that knowledge the private preserve of a select few, or in this case just one member. In most if not all cases, the fakers know what the real items look like, so providing a full detailed explanation of what is good or bad does not help them, rather it helps the collector.
    Jerry,

Not always in my experience and I have watched the market change off forums posts or topics. The item or genre/ type of item will also be a consideration as will be process of manufacture. In this case a marking on glass or porcelain, so you would need to know glass and porcelain because you cannot very well apply standards to this that you would apply to a badge or maybe a dagger. The fact of the matter is the guy posted a plate for opinion on a purchase and asked what people thought, he got opinions that he asked for and can now make a decision. An off center SS on a dual font marking does not mean much, some of these plates and items that are similar can be more difficult than others. Marks can be under glaze, designs can be under glaze so that method of authentication while handy at one time is fairly useless in this day. In this case if it were a difficult call the picture would not even suffice but even as its presented there is enough to see there to know its legitimate. Bottom line is that collectors utilize criteria for on genre and cross that criteria into areas where it does not apply and make call's based on them. It does not work that way in reality as the German's are German's and the God's are God's. This was made by the German's.

Enjoy

Hi Kris, I know that you your stuff when it coms to porcelain.

If you think it is good, then the buyer can go ahead and make his purchase.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Kris, I know that you your stuff when it coms to porcelain.

If you think it is good, then the buyer can go ahead and make his purchase.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Adrian,

I am fairly certain, I think if I were a buyer and a little unsure the photo I would ask for would require hitting the entire mark with a flash and that would confirm it 100%. The odds that it is bad are miniscule as the mark outside the SS runes is the one they used to accomodate the SS runes, and if the SS runes were not to be applied? the whole mark would be wrong but still possible. But there is a bunch of this stuff out there and a buyers market as well.

;O)

Jerry,

Not always in my experience and I have watched the market change off forums posts or topics. The item or genre/ type of item will also be a consideration as will be process of manufacture. In this case a marking on glass or porcelain, so you would need to know glass and porcelain because you cannot very well apply standards to this that you would apply to a badge or maybe a dagger. The fact of the matter is the guy posted a plate for opinion on a purchase and asked what people thought, he got opinions that he asked for and can now make a decision. An off center SS on a dual font marking does not mean much, some of these plates and items that are similar can be more difficult than others. Marks can be under glaze, designs can be under glaze so that method of authentication while handy at one time is fairly useless in this day. In this case if it were a difficult call the picture would not even suffice but even as its presented there is enough to see there to know its legitimate. Bottom line is that collectors utilize criteria for on genre and cross that criteria into areas where it does not apply and make call's based on them. It does not work that way in reality as the German's are German's and the God's are God's. This was made by the German's.

Enjoy
    Good to see you adding a bit more meat to your opinion and I know you know your stuff on these, but best whenever possible to share the wealth so to speak, to aid other collectors. Opinions are after all only that and it is up to the thread starter to take them on board but ultimately it is their choice how they act.

I am happy to bow to your superior knowledge on this item, though I do have some experience of ceramics and their analysis in a professional capacity, but my area is somewhat earlier than this.
    Regards,

Jerry

Good to see you adding a bit more meat to your opinion and I know you know your stuff on these, but best whenever possible to share the wealth so to speak, to aid other collectors. Opinions are after all only that and it is up to the thread starter to take them on board but ultimately it is their choice how they act.

I am happy to bow to your superior knowledge on this item, though I do have some experience of ceramics and their analysis in a professional capacity, but my area is somewhat earlier than this.
    Jerry,

I remember a few years ago commenting on an issue of under glaze which can be used in certain cases as a tool, and two months later got handed a fake I had not seen before and having it under glaze. I think the discussions on the boards over the last few years have something to do with that frankly. So today I am a little more careful what I say exactly. Some of the fakes that come to market are really good and I cannot call them on occasion with photos and even in hand they can be a challenge. They did things in a certain way though and that helps with a piece like this one but others are not so easy. Today we have issues where marks are done under glaze, paint is done under glaze and now we have to look at things differently and essentially add the sum of all to get to an opinion. Personally I do not even like this crockery material and there is a ton of it out there. But it is inexpensive and appeals to collectors who don't want to buy expensive pieces of porcelain or cannot afford to. The SS material is of course the worst with dealers adding substantial premiums for the marks in many cases and in some cases I cant say if its real or not, that is a bit scary. Its not too bad just yet but I certainly don't want to hand over too much on a public board. ;o)

Best to err on the side of caution and simply walk away in many cases, or run a cost risk factor which I will do on occasion but not too often on porcelain.

Jerry,

Best to err on the side of caution and simply walk away in many cases, or run a cost risk factor which I will do on occasion but not too often on porcelain.
    Sadly your last point tends to be my default position on items such as this, if in doubt then walk away.

Certainly underglaze transfers can be very badly applied, with folds, overlaps and gaps all commonly seen but often they would end up in the factory reject pile and perhaps get sold as seconds.
    Regards,

Jerry

Just wanted to ad my two cents....
    I made a pic to compare the plate mark to one I have (who I assume it is good!)...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Reich PLate  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Sadly your last point tends to be my default position on items such as this, if in doubt then walk away.

Certainly underglaze transfers can be very badly applied, with folds, overlaps and gaps all commonly seen but often they would end up in the factory reject pile and perhaps get sold as seconds.
    You might be surprised at how much was not rejected during the Reich. I remember when I first started with higher end porcelain pieces and was putting together a wish list and one of the big dealers was filling the orders or wants while over in Europe, this would go back to the mid 80's to the 1990's. A question posed on an item was met with the statement I used about there being the gods and the Germans essentially dismissing an error as being human. That stuck with me and I have applied that countless times thankfully, as its true. Guys will use arguments that a piece would never make it through RZM or past watchful eyes on quality control, its just not always true. Today in the market place many of the fakes depending on what your looking at are actually better than they were during the period, its a flag or one of them.

There is no way for a collector with a book case to know many things, and the only reason I know a lot of it is because I have been out there handling it for a long time, there are no books really or reference other than these forums which are a big help on occasion and a head ache on occasion. Double edged sword as the crooks read them and use the data and opinions are parroted and not always correct, posts I did 7 years ago don't even apply anymore but people still use them. I am actually glad there are no books on many topics as their best left alone. Today you not only need to porcelain marks and porcelain but you need to know it by individual manufacturer, marks, and paint, etc. Its a real bitch and no where to get there without time in the market. There are the God's and then there are the German's, we can only thank the gods that the Germans are flawed enough to recognize their work. ;o)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast