Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Tray trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri tray

Article about: Hello Everyone A friend of mine asked me to appraise and possibly sell this tray, I don't think it's worth mutch but lets give it a shot And also, not to make another topic, I'd like you tak

Without close photos of the Italian tray and it's engravings, it is next to impossible to ascertain one way or another. I will say, though, that from what I can see of it, the Names engraved around the edges are more than likely genuine, but the presentation to the Naval Attache, until better images are available, would be somewhat suspect, as it does not appear to match the style or the age patinas of the name engravings and may have been added at a later date to enhance it's selling value.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri tray
    P
    Many

Well, Thank you William for your opinion, I'll try to get good photos, meanwhile let me say this, those are the signatures of all of the attaches present at the event and I'm thinking that every attache got the tray with his name in the middle, correct me if I'm not wright. Now, lets asume here for a moment that it's totally original, what would be the the value of it (more or less), maybe we're wasting our time here and it's worth as much as the silver inside of it.

Have you tried looking up any of the men's names that are on it? And did something significant happen on the date marked? It's extremely difficult to do a "what if" evaluation of it. But, if it should prove to be authentic, I'm thinking that it's value will still not be enormous as there would be a very limited market for such an item. It would have value, of course, but quite likely not the "buy a new house" kind of price.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

here are some better photos
    SS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri traySS Tray  trench art??? + Italian Attache Ferreri tray

Francis Cogswell was U.S. Naval attaché in Paris, France in the late 1930s. Maurice Martin Smith was the assistant U.S. Naval attache and subordinate of Cogswell. The other names probably fit as well. Overall appearance of the piece looks dead right to me, no fakery imo.

I say good.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

well, thank you
    could you tell me what would be the price for this tray and where would be the proper place to put it on sale
    regards

Haven't a clue old boy. Sounds like you're itching to get your hands on the spondoo's asap though, do I take it you're not a collector of militaria at all?

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well, Ned to tell you the truth I'm sort of an antique dealer ). But do have a couple of wwi patriotic porcelain pieces, that's as far as militaria went for me. Everything else I sell. I'm trying to get the right money for it and in no case to sell it ASAP, I was thinking Ebay but then again to put it from a $1 it could sell for 500 which is not good for me. And if I put a price too high it wouldn't be good as well. So that's what kind of a problem I got.

Thanks for your honesty Arthur, it does you credit, good luck with your sale.

Regards, Ned.

?

I think something like this has very limited historical value and would be of very limited interest. Its probably worth the silver content thats it, as someone wanting a nice silver tray might see the engravings as ruinous to the piece. As for the TK platter, the engraving is postwar done I am certain of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2