Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Wedding Presentation Copy of Mein Kampf

Article about: nice ss box/casket rgds Dave

Default Re: SS Wedding Presentation Copy of Mein Kampf

Quote by stekker View Post
    Hi Paul,I will try to translate the names but it's very difficult for me.
    I've studied German 20 years ago,and this writing is written in old type German.
    Man's surname is I.M.O:Veihslin
    woman's is I.M.O:Anna Mujvakna born von der Rey
    Major name is I.M.O:Gerhoff

That's all I can do for you at this moment.
    Some names are for sure: Veihslin , Anna , von der Rey ,Gerhoff

Greetings Theo
    Not bad, Theo ! The bride's family is still around, check this out, Paul: Landfleischerei Von der Bey, Oberhausen

Next visit to Germany, you buy yourself a nice Schlachteplatte (lots of meat ans sausages) and talk to the owner some, maybe he knows something about Anna.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Wedding Presentation Copy of Mein Kampf
    P
    Many

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Sorry, but no:
    The woman's name is Anna Magdalena, neé von der Bey. (I can't make out the word after "Frau" and before "Anna" though.)

The name at the bottom looks more like "Lerhoff" to me. It is not the mayor, by the way, but the registrar (=Standesbeamter), acting on behalf of the lord mayor.

The husband's surname is giving me a hard time; don't think it is Veihslin, though - That's just not a German name. His Christian names are Heinrich Christian Friedrich and he was a teacher ("ranked" Studienrat).
    Here we go:
    Herrn Studienrat Heinrich Christian Friedrich
    Oechslin und
    Frau Elisa Anna Magdalena
    geb. von der Bey

11. November 1937

i.A.
    Lohoff
    Standesbeamter

Quote by der-hase-fee View Post
    This is not the book that belongs in the box, because it was given to a Studienrat. That's a teacher with a degree.
    The question is, does any particular copy of Mein Kampf really belong in that box? In "Himmler's Black Order", Robin Lumsden writes about the SS wedding ceremony:

"A presentation copy of Mein Kampf was then taken from a heavy oak casket carved with runes and haded over to the groom."

Thus, I had always assumed that the oak caskets were used exclusively as "ceremonial" items for the wedding procedures and not given to any couple. I think this is quite plausible, actually, given their high quality. Furthermore, if one of those was actully handed over to every married SS man, shouldn't they be more common than they actually are?

Anyway, thanks for filling in the blanks in my attempt at decyphering the names; I think you are spot on!

The question is, does any particular copy of Mein Kampf really belong in that box? In "Himmler's Black Order", Robin Lumsden writes about the SS wedding ceremony:

"A presentation copy of Mein Kampf was then taken from a heavy oak casket carved with runes and handed over to the groom."

Thus, I had always assumed that the oak caskets were used exclusively as "ceremonial" items for the wedding procedures and not given to any couple. I think this is quite plausible, actually, given their high quality. Furthermore, if one of those was actually handed over to every married SS man, shouldn't they be more common than they actually are?
    Well written words.

The scarcity of this particular object has been reason for all kind of assumptions being made. I must admit that I haven't cared much to try to add to this. But here are my observations and thoughts.

1) As said before, a casket of this kind is a rare item.
    2) Different designs of the center inlay have been available, but the one with the double sig runes is the most common.
    3) I would describe the craftsmanship of the carving as exquisite, though there are others that think it's not and easily reproducible; some even dare to state this without ever having examined one of these.
    4) It may have been observed that quite a few of these were coming out of the UK, which may have lead some to speculate on an after 1945 production there.

I believe I have observed the majority of the Mein kampf books, found in the caskets today, being dedicated in cities and towns in Northern Germany (maybe in the area of the state of Lower Saxony today, which comprises to some extent the former Gaue Ost-Hannover, Sued-Hannover-Braunschweig, Weser-Ems and Westfalen Nord). This nicely matches the British Zone of Occupancy in Germany after 1945.

I am suggesting the following:

1) The caskets were private purchases rather than official gifts.
    2) Their purpose may not necessarily have been to keep the MK copy, but their dimensions did match the book so perfectly that it may have appeared to be just the thing to do.
    3) Production of the caskets was located in Northern Germany, and that's where the majority were sold (limited distribution).
    4) After the war, quite a few have been acquired by British solders serving in Germany, and brought back home.

I would love to have one of these, original or reproduction, either way, i would not care, as I have never been able to any of these for sale, as i have an original German issue of Mein Kampf that i would love to have a home for it.

Brian

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    I would love to have one of these, original or reproduction, either way, i would not care, as I have never been able to any of these for sale, as i have an original German issue of Mein Kampf that i would love to have a home for it.

Brian
    That's pretty good timing on your side, Brian. There happen to be two out there right now ! Just need the money:

Uniforms of the NSDAP, NSDAP Militaria, SS Wedding Casket

German Militaria Collectibles

Good luck and report back, please.

That's pretty good timing on your side, Brian. There happen to be two out there right now ! Just need the money:

Uniforms of the NSDAP, NSDAP Militaria, SS*Wedding*Casket

German Militaria Collectibles

Good luck and report back, please.
    Another offer: Hannah's Reich

"A presentation copy of Mein Kampf was then taken from a heavy oak casket carved with runes and haded over to the groom."
    Assuming the quote is correct, then either Robin had never handled one of these caskets when he wrote this sentence or he is referring to a different one. The ones being discussed here are rather light weight, at least that's my perception.

Assuming the quote is correct, then either Robin had never handled one of these caskets when he wrote this sentence or he is referring to a different one. The ones being discussed here are rather light weight, at least that's my perception.

Either way, interestingly, it appears that Mr. Lumsden is not even sure anymore that these caskets were even used for weddings. See post # 34 here:
    The mk casket club - Page 3 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Unique casket:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Wedding Presentation Copy of Mein Kampf   SS Wedding Presentation Copy of Mein Kampf  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast