Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS wooden box

Article about: Hello all Got this litlle funny wooden ss box together with some other items i will post later.. It came from an estate in Germany. measures 15x10 cm. quite heavy Wood.. very well craftmansh

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Is the NSKK eagle marked with DRGM or any RZM markings? I have not seen one like it prior.
    Rossi here is the one i found...
    a marble base with the eagle on top.
    the eagle is the same as my one.
    Rossi if you Google NSKK eagle you will find it... it has been sold the one i show on this Picture so no clue to its value...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS wooden box
    P
    Many

Anyone on the ss wooden box?
    Seen similar?.. have one in your collection?..
    Please comment if you know anything on these boxes.

Quote by Ullergaard View Post
    Was my first thought but look closer..
    Also i think it looked like acid etching like on the blades... but it is carved out of the wood.
    Interesting piece.

I can't quite get the magnification I would like without losing clarity but I would say definately not laser cut. It looks to me as if it was done with an engraving tool similar to an electric router (Oberfraese auf Deutsche!) and I suspect it would be a fairly uncommon piece of work if not a total "one off" done fairly locally to the customer / recipient and by a carpenter / woodworker using a generic but hand made display case rather than in a factory. Do let us know if you discover more about it.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark thank you.

I have showed it to a couple of persons..
    One who does ss daggers.. and he said the runic button was good.
    Then i showed it to a woodworker who said he would estimate the box to be made in between 1910-1930..

So that is a start

The box looks to me like something a technical/carpentery student my make for fun or school project. The name inscription to me looks like it was made using a lettering stencil and an electric drill.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The box looks to me like something a technical/carpentery student my make for fun or school project. The name inscription to me looks like it was made using a lettering stencil and an electric drill.
    Indeed, or the local carpenter / cabinet maker 90 or so years ago.
    The stencil idea fits with early engraving guides used in a kind of bench jig setup with a router which creates a cut with a flat bottom as opposed to the conical void left by a twist dril which of course is meant to make vertical bores unlike the router bit which cuts laterally.
    These days we are conditioned to believe this type of cut is only made by CNC machinery of the electronic age but fail to realise that; augers twist drills and routers (not the type used with computers ) are amongst some of the oldest woodworking tools and the early 20th century was relatively late compared to the origins of the craft

On the other hand one can still see identical styles of woodwork today in asian souvenir shops! So, patina is a hugely important factor here and this piece seems to have that.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Some more pictures

?

Is there a thread here for wood boxes?

Perhaps the box was for Herr Blösche to keep his signed copy of Mein Kampf in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2