Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A strange glass bottle

Article about: Any ideas as to what the base of this strange bottle says. It is etched onto the base, not sure if it's real, doesn't matter really its quite funny I think

Default A strange glass bottle

Any ideas as to what the base of this strange bottle says. It is etched onto the base, not sure if it's real, doesn't matter really its quite funny I think
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A strange glass bottle   A strange glass bottle  

A strange glass bottle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A strange glass bottle
    P
    Many

German Seminar Reichsuniversity Strassburg [Strasbourg] is the closest I can manage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichs...Stra%C3%9Fburg

A place with some rather unpleasant connections

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Hirt

The object itself looks like a water carafe.

urrggg Not something I'm keen on. I think I will throw it in the bin. And don't pm me to ask for it. I will not and never have made money from suffering

Thanks Richie

CBH
    ?

There is never a case for destroying history . Donate it to a museum or something similar .

Quote by CBH View Post
    There is never a case for destroying history . Donate it to a museum or something similar .
    That's assuming that first it's genuine, and secondly if a museum would want it. You may be surprised that might prove a difficult and time consuming waste of time.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

That's true mate. even for nothing some museums turn their noses up. I once had a WW1 soldiers diary, from August 14 until after the Somme, that was sent to the IWM for authentication.... They were falling over themselves to get it. I took great pleasure in keeping that one

And is it genuine? I have no idea, it seems a strange thing to fake?

Anyways......it makes no difference it is now its a cake.....tis scone

Quote by Richie B View Post
    German Seminar Reichsuniversity Strassburg [Strasbourg] is the closest I can manage .
    Allow me a minor correction: Not "German" but "Germanic".

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    urrggg Not something I'm keen on. I think I will throw it in the bin. And don't pm me to ask for it. I will not and never have made money from suffering

Thanks Richie
    Dear John,

I know exactly what you mean. Back in 1989 I was in a residential district of Amsterdam and happened upon a neighborhood yard sale. This 90 year old woman brought out a crumbling cardboard box that had been in her attic since the end of the war. When she removed the top I saw 2 pristine daggers, a Luftwaffe Pumpkin and and an SS. I had sold all my Nazi daggers years before so I was not interested.... but underneath them was a real GESTAPO identity disk. I was shocked. I asked her where she had gotten these things. She said... if I remember correctly that her long dead husband had been in the resistance and had put these away. She said that she had lost many friends and family members to the Germans and wanted nothing to do with the stuff. I asked her how much she wanted. She said $5 for it all!

I told my wife that the stuff was worth a fortune... BUT I explained what the GESTAPO disk was and what it undoubtedly had seen in Amsterdam during the was.... possibly even involving Anne Frank. I held it in my hand and it even felt weird. I told my wife I would never own that disk for even a moment.
    I told the old gal how much the the stuff was really worth and she was floored. I told her that the Germans owed her as much for what she had suffered, and that I could never make money selling such an item. I still kick myself for not recording the serial number on that disk so it could have been researched. But I never regret not buying it.... not for a second.

I have to say that I am abit disturbed to see artifacts being destroyed due to political correctness. And whether good or bad, history is still history regardless. It's not always going to be pretty but it is what it is and we are changed by it to be what we are today. Who knows why this particular jar was saved? It may have had a Good story behind it's preservation. We Learn from history and we do Not learn from erasing everything that we find questionable. People have died and should be remembered. Deleting the circumstances just makes remembering more difficult.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by hassiman View Post
    Dear John,

I know exactly what you mean. Back in 1989 I was in a residential district of Amsterdam and happened upon a neighborhood yard sale. This 90 year old woman brought out a crumbling cardboard box that had been in her attic since the end of the war. When she removed the top I saw 2 pristine daggers, a Luftwaffe Pumpkin and and an SS. I had sold all my Nazi daggers years before so I was not interested.... but underneath them was a real GESTAPO identity disk. I was shocked. I asked her where she had gotten these things. She said... if I remember correctly that her long dead husband had been in the resistance and had put these away. She said that she had lost many friends and family members to the Germans and wanted nothing to do with the stuff. I asked her how much she wanted. She said $5 for it all!

I told my wife that the stuff was worth a fortune... BUT I explained what the GESTAPO disk was and what it undoubtedly had seen in Amsterdam during the was.... possibly even involving Anne Frank. I held it in my hand and it even felt weird. I told my wife I would never own that disk for even a moment.
    I told the old gal how much the the stuff was really worth and she was floored. I told her that the Germans owed her as much for what she had suffered, and that I could never make money selling such an item. I still kick myself for not recording the serial number on that disk so it could have been researched. But I never regret not buying it.... not for a second.
    Bravo.....

We all know that war causes suffering, what we don't have to keep reminding ourselves is how wicked mankind can be. The Germans the Soviets, Japanese, and the Brits (Boar War) have all committed atrocities in the name of honour.

The victors, however write the history books, and sometimes it is forgotten what has been done by others.

I deal, and collect 3rd Reich because it has superior workmanship, is pleasing to the eye, and whoever invented the black uniform was a theatrical genius ....not for it's political attributions, I neither support the views expressed, nor do not support the ideas or political statements of the regime.

The German people are the most hospitable I have ever encountered, I am still trying to grasp the language, and having just returned from a holiday there, I am due back in November

I just don't want to sell, give away or display suffering.....JMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast