Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A strange glass bottle

Article about: Any ideas as to what the base of this strange bottle says. It is etched onto the base, not sure if it's real, doesn't matter really its quite funny I think

I find its strange that it's engraved on the bottom.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A strange glass bottle
    P
    Many

Obviously, I don’t agree with this destroying of historical things. If everytime a person or people committed some heinous atrocity and we hurried about after disposing of them and tore down everything that was ever associated with them, the World would be a rather sparsely built place. Magnificent monuments and structures treasured today would be gone-such as the Roman Coliseum or the Great Wall of China. You can’t rewrite History to suit your own tastes by cleansing it of anything you found offensive. This is just fooling ourselves. You do it through Teaching. The Holocaust historians aren't running about making parking lots and playgrounds out of every camp or location. They use the structures to Point Out what happened and to Teach the coming generations of what went on. Books can be written by anyone who wants to put a pen to paper and say whatever they have in mind-whether it be total nonsense or cold fact. Any fool with a pen or computer can write a book. But when you have something concrete and solid to see, touch and visit-that’s different. The prevailing mindset of today is “Destroy! Erase! Then we can all pretend nothing bad ever happened.” Ancient Egyptians hated Akhenaten . After his death, they,too, erased inscriptions from stones, destroyed monuments-even hid his very tomb and body. Did it work? Today he is one of the most famed Pharaohs of ancient Egypt known. Was he good or was he bad? We don't even really know for sure, but the Effort to hide and erase him made a celebrity of him regardless. The more people try to change History by these sort of methods, the more they end up drawing attention to it. When you erase the memory of the Killers, you Also erase the memory of the Victims. You can’t hide one without the other.

But, having said this, I do not intend to hijack this thread any further and call down the wrath of the ever vigilant mods who detest such discussions. It was just something that I felt needed to be said, and I have no notion of continuing with anything further. What is done is done-whether I agree with it or not, and I guess that makes it a kind of "history" too...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

With my work...it is what I do, I am in constant contact with the appropriate institutions and museums - have also spent extensive study time at the Natzweiler-Struthof museum, so if the original poster, i.e. John, sees fit, I will gladly cover postage and see that it gets donated to a suitable site.

Carl

The pen is probably worth more

Was this artifact saved or was it destroyed?
    William

It was not destroyed but was given away to a local small personal museum, I have had various offers for it, but declined. sorry to disappoint guys

No disappointment at all! What Would have been, had it been destroyed!
    William

No matter what my personal thoughts are, I could never destroy something because of my own feelings. As you rightly said, it could not be replaced. I try and stay away from objects with sadistic associations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2