Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Swastika wall tile.

Article about: I was recently given this wall tile.It was dug up in the back garden of a 1930's house in a village near to Saarburg.It is made in the Villeroy&Boch factory at Mettlach which is just dow

NCA
    ?

Question Swastika wall tile.

I was recently given this wall tile.It was dug up in the back garden of a 1930's house in a village near to Saarburg.It is made in the Villeroy&Boch factory at Mettlach which is just down the road...Could this be from the period or something else?Ive posted it here as the swastika is orientated as per Nazi ones.Any info would be great.I admit this is not my normal field of collecting.
    Swastika wall tile.Swastika wall tile.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swastika wall tile.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Swastika wall tile.

i think its more likely just a preaty pattern that someones done they were used in victorian times a lot
    Last edited by talltom; 12-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.

They come in different forms, not realy TR related.One can even find swa's on 17 th and 18 th century tiles .
    Nice tile nevertheless !!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

In the late 90,s a number of these showed up and were listed as "Tile from the entry hall of the new Reichskanzlei" - at the time they were up for sale at $125 a tile??????
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

When I was in Pompeii I saw this exact pattern in the mosaics. It is an ancient design

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Not being funny here, but why don't yo write to the maker and ask if they can date it for you.

I'm pretty sure it is probably prewar and most of these old established firms do keep records and do have an archivist.

?

Seems I have seen pictures of the Reichskanzlei and these tiles or similar tiles were shown - shoudnt be to hard to find a picture as there was a complete book from the period reflecting the interior. Maybe one of our memebers could enlighten use???

Horst

Here is a period wall tile that I have in my collection with a Volkisch motif.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swastika wall tile.  

?

Heres a period tile reflecting a Wehrmacht flag , maker marked-

Horst
    Swastika wall tile.Swastika wall tile.Swastika wall tile.

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    When I was in Pompeii I saw this exact pattern in the mosaics. It is an ancient design

Nick
    Indeed it is...the symbol was common in the Greco-Roman ancient period...yet has Asian roots thousands of years earlier still. Below, as mentioned by Nick earlier, an extant example at Pompeii and another from nearby Herculaneum. Both sites fell victim to the 79 A.D. eruption of Vesuvius.

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swastika wall tile.   Swastika wall tile.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast