Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Swiss ww2 Paper weight

Article about: Not if this is the right place for this so move the tread if needed , i picked up this at the fea market , looks to be a Swiss 1918-1939 paper weight

Default Swiss ww2 Paper weight

Not if this is the right place for this so move the tread if needed , i picked up this at the fea market , looks to be a Swiss 1918-1939 paper weight
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swiss ww2 Paper weight   Swiss ww2 Paper weight  

Swiss ww2 Paper weight  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Swiss ww2 Paper weight
    P
    Many

What is the Schweizer significance of 1914-1939 (besides both dates being the start of the two world wars), what happened in Luzern in 1939, what does the first word mean exactly? It reads EIDGENOSSISCHES? Gets me this Google search, some games it looks like? In some cases shooting games, but this doesn't look like something to do with a shooting award or commemoration?

EIDGENOSSISCHES - Google Search

Hammered bronze?

Hi yes bronze,not Sure what it is for

Quote by Larboard View Post
    What is the Schweizer significance of 1914-1939 (besides both dates being the start of the two world wars), what happened in Luzern in 1939, what does the first word mean exactly? It reads EIDGENOSSISCHES? Gets me this Google search, some games it looks like? In some cases shooting games, but this doesn't look like something to do with a shooting award or commemoration?
    It says "EIDGENÖSSISCHES SCHÜTZENFEST IN LUZERN 1939" = "SWISS SHOOTING FESTIVAL AT LUZERN 1939".

"Eidgenössisch" is the adjective to the word "Eidgenossenschaft", roughly meaning "confederation". (A literal translation would be "oath fellowship".) In practice, it is almost exclusively used as a synoym for Switzerland. For a little more on the history and meaning of the term, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidgenossenschaft

The Eidgenössisches Schützenfest is a major national event with a long history and still held every five years (incidentally, the last one was this year at Raron/Visp, and the next one in 2020 will again take place in Luzern):

Geschichte | Eidgenössisches Schützenfest Wallis 2015 | 11. Juni - 12. Juli 2015 in Raron | Visp | Mit Hand & Härz!
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidgen...%C3%BCtzenfest

The item would appear to be a trophy, presentation piece or souvenir from the 1939 Fest; perhaps the "1914 / 1939" theme is in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the start of WWI. Surely, it has nothing to do with the start of WWII, as the event was held from 16th June to 3rd July 1939, i.e. well before war broke out.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post

The item would appear to be a trophy, presentation piece or souvenir from the 1939 event, perhaps the 1914 / 1939 theme is in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the start of WWI.
    Or the advent of WW II......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very nice trophy/award.......... !
    Regards,

Steve.

Thx HPL, I missed the SCHÜTZENFEST in the two pics provided. Odd that the award doesn't have a rifle rather than a sword. Very nice paperweight indeed.

Thank you all for your input