Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

tankard/beer

Article about: All, there is an inscription on this beer tankard that I'm trying to find some history on if possible. The inscription around the bottom says : Der Panzer Abw. Abt.178 gewidmet von Oberarzt

?

Default tankard/beer

All, there is an inscription on this beer tankard that I'm trying to find some history on if possible. The inscription around the bottom says : Der Panzer Abw. Abt.178 gewidmet von Oberarzt Dr. Kraus. I just came in possession of it and just trying to trace it's history. If anyone can help, the history will stay with it for the next generations, Thanks so much.......

God bless......... Mykytankard/beertankard/beer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement tankard/beer
    P
    Many

The tankard appears to be a much older piece than the inscription would expect. It may have either been an older piece that was engraved at a later date-or else it could simply be a spurious inscription added by someone to boost the sale price up.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Got to agree.
    chris

Old pewter is not worth much these days, maybe a way to make a additional buck on it!
    Like William said the jag is way older then the inscription.
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Lightbulb

Sadly, this is probably a case of 'if only it could talk'. As the other members have said, the piece itself has an 'antique' look, far pre-WWII.

But the inscription is dedicated to a Doctor/medical Officer, and the unit itself is fairly obscure. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a unit, grateful for the medical services rendered, had the item engraved as a personal gift. It doesn't have the look of a 'cynical fake' which would feature a Waffen-SS dedication, etc .

I'd recommend researching the unit involved, but would suggest that you're never going to know the actual story behind this piece.....

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    But the inscription is dedicated to a Doctor/medical Officer, and the unit itself is fairly obscure. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a unit, grateful for the medical services rendered, had the item engraved as a personal gift.
    Actually, the opposite is the case: It's a dedication from the doctor to the unit.

Lightbulb

Whoops ! As you can see, German isn't my 'first language'.....

Perhaps some closeups of the engraving might help. What is the white stuff across the area of the engraving, paint?

I've seen people rub talcum powder on a weak inscription to try to make it legible.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yes, or chalk dust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast