Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest?

Article about: First, good evening all and I hope this is the right section for this question. I've not seen anything like this before. It kind of reminds me of those put-together plaques that have George

Default Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest?

First, good evening all and I hope this is the right section for this question.
    I've not seen anything like this before. It kind of reminds me of those put-together plaques that have George Washington's hair or part of the Confederate flag that flew over Richmond, etc., etc.
    Are these common and is there any way to tell if they are legit?
    If it is the real thing, what is a fair retail price?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest?   Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest?  

Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest?
    P
    Many

schnellmann
    ?

Default Re: Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest?

I have seen them before - usually at Gun Shows. You know the hearth at the Berghof would supply rock for thousands of the size slivers they use in this ashtray. So I guess it is just an act of faith. It is a damned good story. I see there are many people attesting to the legitimacy of this item - on the back. Just go with it. I wish I had bought one many years ago for $10.00.

?

Cool little pc of rock. A vet friend of mine, now gone on, was there he told me, having gotten a chance to drive a bunch of officers around to various places, just after the war. He tells me his did two things there. One was a NUMBER 2
    on Hitler's living room carpet. The second was to blow off a chunk of marble from the fireplace with a grenade. He says the marble was a gift from Mussolini to Hitler on celebration of Der Fuhrer's birthday.
    He had two good size chunks.. One he had made into an actual ashtray, maybe about 5-6 inches in hexagon by about an inch or so thick, and the second was a paperweight done in a ball form with many flats sides. Maybe about a little smaller than a hardball baseball.Both had small brass plaques on them telling where they came from. They sat in his front window sidelight's display case. The marble was pinkish in color and had white going through it. Pinkish orange was the color you would think of, more to pink when looking at it, first glance. He was an amateur geologist and archaeologist of sorts, Indian artifacts, Herkimer diamonds, so there he is, and what interests him is the marble. Neat to see this, reminds me of my friend, thanks.

ian
    ?

mabe someone has recent pictures of the fire place at the eagles nest
    if we are talking about the same building i seem to remember the last time i was there that the fire place was un damaged but then i didnt take that much notice i was more interested in the bunckers
    cheers all ian

Hi Brian, I think there is some confusion on this topic. The ashtray says that it came from Hitler's home at Berchtesgaden. That would not be the Eagle's Nest. The Eagle's Nest was higher up on the Obersalzberg. Hitler never lived there, and actually visited it very infrequently. Hitler lived in the Berghof near Berchtesgaden. The fireplace which was a gift from Mussolini, is still intact in the Eagles Nest. All of the fireplaces at the Berghof have been destroyed and no longer exist. I think that's where Ian was confused. Hope you can find more info on that ashtray, pretty neat piece. Jay

ian
    ?

i didnt think we where talking about the correct building somhow

?

Jay is right Hitlers house was the "Berghof" and did have a large fireplace although the one in the Eaglesnest was the one that Mussolini provided and having been there a few times I saw that there were alot of chips all around the hearth. The chips obviously originated from post 45 souvenir seekers .
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Horst it's great to hear first hand accounts like yours. So maybe the guys that got the chip of marble, were missinformed and thought they were in Hitler's "casa" when they were in fact at the Eagles Nest. We will probably never know. I have often heard the two confused, once on the History Channel believe it or not. I'm just waiting for retirement so I can repeat your feat Horst and see it in person. P.S. you didn't get a chip of marble did ya? I promise I won't tell anybody. Jay

?

Jay - you hit the nail on the head, initially there was alot of confusion relative to Hitlers home. The Eaglesnest was a present from Martin Borman for Hitlers 50th birthday 1939 and as noted above Mussolini gave the marble fireplace as his present to add to the building.
    No I didnt get a chip from the Eaglesnest fireplace but I did get a portion of a cement piller and a brick from Hitlers Berhof in the late 60,s. At that time Hitlers Berghof garage was still standing and a hole large enough to slip through was prevalent, so I entered and found a large pillar and some small portions on the floor also a brick and some small peices of china which had been broken on the floor, I picked a few peices up that still had the maker etc on them. Needless to say my wife thought I had lost my mind at the time - I still have the brick & Pillar but over the years the broken china got misplaced. I returned a few years later and they had planted trees on the building foundation and flushed up all remaining
    walls with earth. I do have all the above on video as my wife was filming all the time.

Horst

?

Heres the cement pillar protion, the Polizei mannequin is resting his boot on it.

Horst
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is there any way to tell if this came from the Eagle's Nest?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast