Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Volks Empfanger

Article about: Not all that exotic but unique a third Reich Volks Empfanger which still works. There is a switch on the back that changes the voltage from 220 to 110, the housing is made out of a bakelite

?

Default Volks Empfanger

Not all that exotic but unique a third Reich Volks Empfanger which still works. There is a switch on the back that changes the voltage from 220 to 110, the housing is made out of a bakelite type material.

Horst
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volks Empfanger   Volks Empfanger  

"He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Volks Empfanger
    P
    Many

Default Re: Volks Empfanger

Damm Horst …there must be something out there that you and I don’t share an interest in.

Ok here we go ---there were several different models of these People’s Radios . The earliest did not have the Eagle and Swastika on the front , it only had an Eagle’s Head with “sound waves” coming from it.
    Televisions were just coming in BUT , Joey (Goebbels) and Adolf realized that not every Home had or could afford a Radio which was still “King”.
    Now , I can’t remember exactly where but I read somewhere that the Nazi’s actually subsidized the Radio Manufacturers (that would explain the Eagle & Swas on the front) ..that would also give a boost to that Industry providing jobs AND keep the prices low so every German Home could finally afford to buy a Radio. In that way …they could also get their “message” to everyone and the BS would flow faster.
    Even though these radios were Regenerative (Regenerative circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and can’t even come close to todays designs …they were very well made (and nicely marked with the collector in mind).
    There was also a plug-in module you could buy to get better reception as these were notorious for having a limited reception range. But ..they didn’t want you listening to the BBC anyway so …

To own a Radio in your TR Home …you had to get a permit or License from the Post Office (who regulated them) this way the Gov could charge a Tax and also keep track of who had them.
    (I heard the German Gov still charges this Tax today)
    Here’s a Permit --
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volks Empfanger  

To help promote the new "Peoples Radio"
    Goebbels handed out 500 of them to Berliners for FREE on his 41st Birthday
    ..what a guy ..people pushing and shoving , looks like Wally Mart on Black Friday huh ?

Here are my 3 examples ...someone at some point replaced the Grill Cloth on the one in the middle , other than that they are 100 % original.

The same way we hold "Home Shows" or Fairs open to the public today ...they held Radio Shows in Germany to promote them back then.
    Here's a Postcard from a show.
    As well as the postmark --

(I cropped it so it wouldn't end up copied on some site ..)
    Attached Images Attached Images Volks Empfanger 

Another Card featuring the 1938 model ...and the postmark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volks Empfanger   Volks Empfanger  

----

Here's a fantastic site that covers the Radios in depth ...interesting to note how he shows these were more than capable of recieving "enemy " broadcasts . He covers the models well.

Volksempfaenger. Radio Wumpus

?

Mike - Great stuff you have relative to the Radio - the ironic thing is when I was living in Germany I used to listen to AFN(US Armed Forces Network) on the Volksempfanger.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Thanks Horst ..I see you also have a License , we don't see many of them around. But then again , most collectors ignore Documents unless they are Award related . There's no doubt about it ..the Radio was a powerful Tool (and in many cases even a Weapon) Look at the reaction ...just from the sound of his voice !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast