Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Wittmann Tiger Normandie.

Article about: Always been interested in the Tank battles around Caen in France. Especially those with the 101 Schwere SS Panzers. The famous picture of Wittmanns destroyed turretless Tiger has always fasc

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    It doesn't bear thinking about, it would have been a inferno inside that tank, and I'm quite sure every thing inside would have melted..

Surely it couldn't be... but..

I "found" this picture, of the Caen-Falaise Road, August 1944:

https://legionmagazine.com/en/wp-con...3/02/Copp2.jpg
    You never know

Imagine being the poor Padre's that had to go and remove remains from burned out Tanks (Allied) I have heard many tales of remains, or what was left, being removed in small ammunition box's. Also sometimes, all that was left was a pool of fat in the bottom of the tank !

Horrendous , I really do not know how they did it, the horrors our veterans had to endure, I simply cant comprehend it

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wittmann Tiger Normandie.
    P
    Many

?

One of the best accounts of the body recovery from Tanks is by Leslie Skinner Padre of the Sherwood Rangers , a truly awful job but he did it so the other crews didn;t have to see what remained, even though they knew what happened if you got brewed up.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Sorry if this is a bit grisly but it puts things in perspective.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wittmann Tiger Normandie.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Wittmann Tiger Normandie. 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Just imagine being in a "Sherman".. facing those Tigers..

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Just imagine being in a "Sherman".. facing those Tigers..
    " Best job i ever had ! "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPWnipuKYAs

A Firefly got Wittmann up the tailpipe so was probably stored ammo that blew the turret off, Villers Bocage will always be Wittmans crowning glory to show what a small group of well commanded Tigers could do.

From my library missing from my pic that I have is ~ Sledgehammers by Willbeck flaws & weaknesses of the Tiger combat tactics, The Tiger Tank By Roger Ford, Tigers in the Mud By Otto Carius.

What it was like! WWII footage of a dead French crew being removed from their Sherman after being hit on the top Rt of the gun mantlet by an "88" be WARNED this is very graphic by its very nature.
    https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...fTCxNTkUC1LiAg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wittmann Tiger Normandie.  

Found this... is this what Joe Ekins saw??

Look at 1.14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8djHbHald8

Lightbulb

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    For anyone interested, there's a double-page colour spread of the Brummbar relics in Heimdal's 'Normandie 1944' magazine, HS #5 ( which also includes 'La Mort de Wittmann'....)
    Just a heads-up here that most of the above is included in the just-published translation of Georges Bernage's book 'Objectif Falaise' ( 'Objective Falaise - 8 August 1944/16 August 1944', Pen & Sword , ISBN 1473857627 ).

Cheers Martin

Some idea of what some tank crews faced and what some poor chaps had to go through to retrieve the bodies if your squemish dont open it up the tank was hit on the Rt side of the gun mantlet decapitating the gunner and blowing a pumpkin sized hole through the tank commanders body its not pretty.
    I do not know if it was a Tiger, Panther, TD or a DP88mm that took this tank out it is pretty close to the event as the tank is still smoking and the bodies are not burned.
    From #86 YouTube
    Last edited by CINDERSII; 08-20-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast