Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?

Article about: Hi all! I am addressing the forum experts regarding the following: My father used to be a soviet military. In 90-s he was sent to Poland (USSR used to have quaters there). My mother worked a

I think it definately European made and probably what collectively called Art Nouveau which was popular between 1890 to 1910. A few details below..

"Art Nouveau was popular in the Nordic countries, where it was usually known as Jugendstil, and was often combined with the National Romantic Style of each country. In Norway the Art Nouveau was connected with a revival inspired by Viking folk art and crafts. Notable designers included Lars Kisarvik, who designed chairs with traditional Viking and Celtic patterns, and Gerhard Munthe, who designed a chair with a stylized dragon-head emblem from ancient Viking ships, as well as a wide variety of posters, paintings and graphics.[37] Other examples include the Skien Church (1887–1894) and Fagerborg Church in Kristiania (Oslo) (1900–1903)."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?
    P
    Many

?

But when you search for the work of those artist you mention you ll see the style is very different.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Yes, but this panel may be a later adaption of the style, perhaps in the 1920's. I think Big Ned may be close when he points out the dragon boat actually looks like an Eagle boat, even the oars look like feathers. So is this a German adaption with a nod to the Nordic influences in Art Nouveau. Really should be take it to an art expert to see.

Doesn't it appear a little a soft as it were for a Nordic representation ?

also the guy holding the sails, does he appear to have some sort of head scarf on ? Vikings did not wear towels around their heads did they ?

To be honest, I see no Nordic/Viking elements here, I see no Art Nouveau influence, and I definitely see no SS symbolism.

Also, I notice that nobody so far has commented on the fact that this isn't an ordinary ship: It's a flying ship.

Anybody researching the significance of the piece should start by looking for legends/fairytales/folklore featuring flying ships.

Ah, now you are talking Baron Munchausen.

Ghost ship, Flying Dutchman type mythology perhaps....

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Also, I notice that nobody so far has commented on the fact that this isn't an ordinary ship: It's a flying ship.
    Hence, feathers for oars.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Ah, now you are talking Baron Munchausen.
    Andreas is not the Baron, he's a very naughty boy!

Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2