Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 German? marble desk inkwell

Article about: Anyone know what this is? and the symbol? looks like some snakes? WW2 German or Italian? Thank you

ado
    ?

Default WW2 German? marble desk inkwell

Anyone know what this is? and the symbol? looks like some snakes? WW2 German or Italian?

Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German? marble desk inkwell   WW2 German? marble desk inkwell  

WW2 German? marble desk inkwell  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German? marble desk inkwell
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: WW2 German? marble desk inkwell

looks like French -"N" for Napoleon

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Quote by Horst View Post
    looks like French -"N" for Napoleon

Horst
    Indeed!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

ww2fotos
    ?

But the N is backwards. And rotating it will make no difference.

I'm not really sure what it is exactly, but I don't think it's German, or even war-related for that matter.

I don't think it is German either. Maybe the photographs are deceiving, but it looks to me as if the serifs on the "mirror-N" symbol are shaped like two different types of hammerheads. If so, could there be some kind of connection to craftsmen, or maybe even Freemasons? (Admittedly, a totally wild guess, there.)

I think the image is reversed an it is indeed a Napoleonic "N". Better photos of details and inside of inkwells as well as base (Bottom) are needed. The craftsmanship does not look like something original to Napoleonic era.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I don't think it is German either. Maybe the photographs are deceiving, but it looks to me as if the serifs on the "mirror-N" symbol are shaped like two different types of hammerheads. If so, could there be some kind of connection to craftsmen, or maybe even Freemasons? (Admittedly, a totally wild guess, there.)
    I think your right it looks masonic to me. But im just guessing too. Where did you get it from? Masonic stuff can be worth loads of money if its old.

?

Looking online, it appears this was a common design of Inkwells during the Victorian era, so that may rule out a reference to the Napoleonic era. There are quite a few examples actually, not exactly like yours, with an eagle or other animal perched between the two wells in a similar fashion.

Search Marble Inkwell in Google images to see what I mean...

As for the letter or symbol, could it have become loose at some point and hastily placed on? It appears it doesn't match up well with the rest of the piece, almost as though it was an afterthought? Is it possible it is just the original owners initial that they added when they received the item and not a reference to any historical figure or organization.

Or, I could be completely wrong and this was Napoleon's personal inkwell and he was in fact a Mason!

I would indeed date thise around 1870- 1910 and it defenitly is the French Imperial eagle and logo, nothing to do with free masons.
    The reversed "N" is of no importance , it can be as someone stated a reversed picture image, or badly put on after it came lose , ore had to come lose...
    A pure and simple French patriotic item.
    A post periode made item to commemorate a ideale leader to some, the same thing we see now in a certain way with IV Reich items.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast