Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone can help, all thanks!

Article about: Hello all. I am from the US. I am quite a bit interested in my past. I found some things out about my great grandfather.I would like to know if anyone can tell me the rank or unit. Please he

hg1stlady
    ?

Default Anyone can help, all thanks!

Hello all. I am from the US. I am quite a bit interested in my past. I found some things out about my great grandfather.I would like to know if anyone can tell me the rank or unit. Please help.I thank you all.Aftername: Dieter
    Vorname: Emil
    GRADE:
    Date of Birth: 20/09/1900
    Birthplace:
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 01/01/1945
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: East Prussia

According to our information, the above-mentioned person has been missing since 01.01.1945.

In a commemorative book, we have recorded the names and personal details of the aforesaid. You may like an extract from us order.

When the German Red Cross Tracing Service was made at an earlier date of a Search application for the missing man, who is also still valid and will be prosecuted. Nevertheless, you should contact the facility in Munich in conjunction. Perhaps been strengthened during the ongoing analysis of documents from various archives of the former Soviet Union or Eastern bloc countries investigated the fate of the missing earlier, but the information is not disclosed yet due to a lack of current address. The search service will process your request quickly and keep you informed by post about the current state of play.
    Click here for a browser

The German department (WASt) is mandated by law since the war to discover the fate of the Wehrmacht soldiers reported as missing and to help concerned citizens to honor legal rights. The German department can also be reached via e-mail.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone can help, all thanks!   Anyone can help, all thanks!  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Anyone can help,all thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The war certainly aged him. Just look at the difference between the earlier photo on the left in which he wear the parade uniform (waffenrock) and the other photo. On the first pic, there are some numbers on the shoulder strap, but I cannot make these out in the scan. That will be the number of his Regt.

His rank is that of Unteroffizier which is equal to that of a Sgt in the US Army.

Cheers, Ade.

hg1stlady
    ?

Hello! Thank you for such a quick reply. Yes, I noticed the advanced aging as well. Sad. At my mothers house the numbers on his shoulder boards are 22 with a line under them. That is the number it looks like. Would it be hard to tell what the bars on the left chest are for? I am awaiting papers from Germany right now about the current location of his burial. They are saying Eastern Prussia. I thank you so very much for all your help. I have been having the strangest dreams lately about this lately. I just want to know so much more.
    cheers!

It is my pleasure to help.

The ribbons he wears through his button holes are the War Merit Cross 2nd class (Kriegsverdienstkreuz) and the Eastern Front medal (Winterschlacht Im Osten). He most likely wears the same ribbons as a medal ribbon bar above his breast pocket.

Cheers, Ade.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.