Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Battles in the Loiano Area (Gothic Line)

Article about: Hello Fellas, I have started this thread in the hopes that someone could help me. I am in the process of acquiring a helmet which was found in an attic in a house in Loiano, near Bologna, on

Default Battles in the Loiano Area (Gothic Line)

Hello Fellas,
    I have started this thread in the hopes that someone could help me. I am in the process of acquiring a helmet which was found in an attic in a house in Loiano, near Bologna, on the former Gothic Line, and was hoping that one of you fellas could give some insight into the unit(s) that fought at Loiano, both German and Allied and info about the battle etc etc?
    Kindest Regards,
    Harvey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battles in the Loiano Area (Gothic Line)
    P
    Many

Loiano and Bologna were captured in the Spring 1945 offensive. In regards to units the area you are interested in was overrun by 5th Army and the valley(s) around Loiano by the 31 Infantry Division. On the German side it is much harder to find out the defenders exactly, the area around there was defended by the 305th Infantry Division (reformed) however they had several valley and ridges to defend. If you read the reports for the spring offensive and the assault towards Bologna it notes that the defense went from sporadic to stiff so it is hard to say if Loiano itself would have been defended, most likely not due to its ability to be bypassed.

Thank you for the response KMMorris, I appreciate the help. When I googled about Loiano, it mentioned the 91 or 92nd Infantry Divisions, cant remember which one now, to have taken the town, but the majority of sites were in Italian, which i do not speak.

Can anyone else shed light?