Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Black Edelweiss

Article about: by Glenn66 Jeez Nick, we have the same tastes! I've had that one for about a month but haven't got around to reading it yet. I'm collecting books faster than I can read them at the moment! L

Default Re: Black Edelweiss

I've read, "Forgotten Soldier, Foot Soldier (Rosco Blunt), Black Edelweiss and a few others. The lack of action disappointed me for the price I paid for the book. I realize there is some debate to the authenticity of "Forgotten Soldier" but if your looking for action thats the book to read.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black Edelweiss
    P
    Many

mpw
    ?

Another very good read is the 'Berlin soldier'. Well written with maps and information of the bigger picture as civilization collapses in Berlin 1945.

Mark.

Black Edelweiss

Hi

had a moment of spare time today to actually sit down and go through some of my books on the dusty old shelves at the back of my study....found some books I would recommend.

First is The Good Soldier by Alfred Novotny a member of the Grossdeutschland divsion who served exclusively on the Eastern front.

Second, Fortress Cholm by Oskars Perro, a latvian soldier serving with Germans and caught in the pocket at cholm. Excellent account of the bitter fighting and the final rescue of the surviviors.

Third, The forsaken army by Heinrich Gerlach. A great novel about Stalingrad that tells individual stories of the soldiers rather than looking at the tactical picture. Very personal look at the tradegy that befell the men trapped in the pocket.

Fourth, Many Rivers I crossed by Werner Volkner. A totenkopf veteran who ended up serving in the British Army in The 1950 and 1960's. Good read although hard going in places as it has no chapters just a straight manuscript.

Finally Jackals of the Reich by Ronald Seth, about the British Freikorps. The author interviewed former members all of whom had served prison sentances for their involvement. The book tells the story of their time in the unit and is factual and non apologetic about their reasons for joining and experiences in 1945 Germany.

Hope this helps, they are all books I have kept and WOULD READ AGAIN.

cheers

tony

?

Some good recommendations there Tony !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

"Blood Red Snow" was very good. I'll have to look into "At Leningrad's Gates". I've just started Ostkrieg: Hitlers War of Extermination. I liked Guy Sajers "Forgotten Soldier" as well.

Also, "In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front" by Gottlob Herbert Bidermann was very good.
    Last edited by roger9344; 03-01-2012 at 10:15 PM.

?

For me the two best books about the War In Russia are still Paul Carells , Hitler Moves East and Scorched Earth , both can be picked up in paperback for next to nothing.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3