Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

British Union of Fascists

Article about: Would appreciate thoughts on the authenticity of this British Union of Fascists pin-back badge? These are unfamiliar territory for me so any information will be gratefully received.

?

Absolutely no problem. It appeared at the car boot, so I thought I'd take a punt - thankfully only £4.00. As you say, hope it adds to the fund of knowledge. I might whack it on Ebay (as a repro) to get rid of it. It's not the sort of thing you want knocking round the house!

Cheers,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British Union of Fascists
    P
    Many

?

Default A couple of recent BUF fakes

A couple of recent BUF fakes spotted on ebay and elsewhere.

The football trophy is a total fantasy item. Although the British Union of Fascists did encourage their members to keep fit and play sports, there was never any such thing as a BUF football league in 1937 or at any other time. The other item is an approximate copy of the pole top of a Fascist standard. Although similar items did exist, their method of construction is significantly different and, in any case, there never was a Catford BUF branch/district. Both items were carefully made with the intention of tricking collectors into handing over substantial sums for junk. I understand that the pole top was initially offered at £1500.

Regards, Philip

?

I found a picture of an Action Press Uniform armband which has the elasticated connector and the wide red area between the rondel and the top and bottom of the armband. This shows up on both the Womens' Action Press armband and the male Action Press uniform armband. Unfortunately I am new to this thread and don't know how to post a photo.

?

Most 19000 serial numbers were copies made by nicholasmorigi.com. Unless you have provenance it is a fake. There are a number of companies reproducing all three of the BF pins. Andrew Butler makes some but he at least puts his name on the back "BUTLER'S". Any Type 1 BF Pin is a fake they were all withdrawn because they had not acquired permission to use the Crown. There is an interesting Italian produced BF pin with a silver Italianate fasces with British Lion inside the axe curl overlaying a British Flag with red crosses over a blue background - no white stripes in evidence. I have a picture of one.

"The 'double-cross' leaflet reminds us of the considerable discomfort experienced by the CPGB and their fellow travellers in Labour after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact of August 1939."

The same must have been the case for all Communist parties that toed Uncle Joe's party line around the world. I'm pretty sure it was in the book _We are Your Sons_ by the Rosenberg kids that one of him goes from being a proud CPUSA (probably their youth org.) communist kid selling the Daily Worker on the streets of NYC to hiding in shame. These are the types of things that happen when Realpolitik Intrudes in one's ersatz religion.

"My understanding is that even after the Public Order Act many members got away with wearing a black shirt with their jacket and tie. Mosley was shown wearing a shirt like this."

I've long been interested in Mosley's iconic black shirt. It almost looks to me like some sort of fencing item with its buttons up the side and stand up collar. I still have an old priest's vest that I bought at a junk shop decades ago that buttoned the same way. One would have worn a white shirt with detachable collar underneath. I always found it interesting that the old vest must have followed the fashion trends of the day as it had a narrow Sixties era up turned collar, mimicking the narrow lapels of men's suits of the day.

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a shirt like that, pretty cool looking, but sold as an honest replica and decently made.

?

My one BUF item, this lad did later join the Royal Navy and was Mentioned in Despatches in 1945 so hopefully it was just a temporary lapse in judgement

Perhaps Forum members can help me locate an out of print book, published by Ulric's of England. The title is: Mosley's Men in Black, The regalia and banners of the British Union of Fascists. As I noted in my profile, I collect books concerned with kindred subjects about Fascism, Nazism, and Communism. Just as aside, I acquired a copy of Deutschland Erwache, a history of the NSDAP vexillum (Standard).

MAP
    ?

Quote by werwolf12 View Post
    Perhaps Forum members can help me locate an out of print book, published by Ulric's of England. The title is: Mosley's Men in Black, The regalia and banners of the British Union of Fascists. As I noted in my profile, I collect books concerned with kindred subjects about Fascism, Nazism, and Communism. Just as aside, I acquired a copy of Deutschland Erwache, a history of the NSDAP vexillum (Standard).
    Probably best to start a new thread. Plus you could used the Classified section (it has a "wanted" option)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast