Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cromwell Tank excavated in Greece... 1975 picture!

Article about: I found in the archives of the Museum i work this nice photo of a well preserved Cromwell tank that was excavated on 1975 near Florina, Greece! It's turet is in near perfect condition but th

Default Cromwell Tank excavated in Greece... 1975 picture!

I found in the archives of the Museum i work this nice photo of a well preserved Cromwell tank that was excavated on 1975 near Florina, Greece! It's turet is in near perfect condition but the tracks are missing. Could it have been used as a stationary deffence point?
    The original title of the pic was 'Huge german tank unearthed in Florina'... I guess the reporters of the time hadn't heard about Koenigs Tiger otherwise they wouldn't call Cromwell 'huge'!!!

I think the turret is now on display on the yard around Athens War Museum but i'm not sure what happened to the rest of the tank!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cromwell Tank excavated in Greece... 1975 picture!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cromwell Tank excavated in Greece... 1975 picture!
    P
    Many

That might be a Centaur A27L, there are 2 turrets at the Athens war museum.
    http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Cruiser_Tanks.pdf scroll all the way down as it's the last 2 photos!...

?

Yes could have been used as a pillbox.

Since it was dug up in 75, it most likely ended up in the meltingpot. Most items from ww2 were still easily avaliable back then, so a rusty clump of metal was nothing to save.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    That might be a Centaur A27L, there are 2 turrets at the Athens war museum.
    http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Cruiser_Tanks.pdf scroll all the way down as it's the last 2 photos!...
    Thank you Gunny! I remember seeing one turret 6-7 years ago when i visited the museum! I remember nothing about the second one...

Very nice link the one you sent me!!!