Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Emden Grouping (Light cruiser)

Article about: Emden was the first major German ship build after World War I, The ship was laid down at the end of 1921 but because of the lack of knowledge in constructing major warships and steel shortag

Default Emden Grouping (Light cruiser)

Emden was the first major German ship build after World War I, The ship was laid down at the end of 1921 but because of the lack of knowledge in constructing major warships and steel shortages it took three years to launch the ship and one additional year to complete it.

She was a Training ship, Helping Build up the experience of the KM. In the years before the war it made several major voyages around the world. Those voyages lead the ship to the Cocos-Islands where the small cruisers Emden in World War I was destroyed. The ship went to Africa, the Indian Ocean, East Asia, the USA, the Mediterranean and more.

Sheltereing of Wilhelmshaven she shot down a Blenheim Bomber, which crashed, into her bow. first naval casualties of the war (4th Oct 1939) The surname of the Pilot was Emden! Because of the age of the Cruiser when WW2 Started. and the Fact she was hinderd by the Versailles Treaty she was mainly used in a Support Role. However Emden played a Active part towards wars end.

These are Documents from Walter Bruggemann, From his Documents. He first served on Emden From 1926 to 1938 and Took part in Many of the major voyages. Were he earned the Decorative Equator Document. As a Training ship in Peace time. There were many Different Commanders. Karl Donitz being one of them. In 1938 Walter would of most likely transferd as experanced sailors were is short Supply. I don't no which ship this was--At the mo) However he earned EK2 Mid 1944. This is a On going project. I thought I would share with you.

Emden Technical Data
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Emden Grouping (Light cruiser)  
    Attached Images Attached Images Emden Grouping (Light cruiser) 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Emden Grouping (Light cruiser)
    P
    Many

Default Re: Emden Grouping (Light cruiser)

Hi Justin, certainly a very famous ship. Great grouping. I see where your avatar has come from now

Cheers, Ade.

Yes it kept a few people Guessing! Now to Find Emden Photo Album.

Like to share with you all, Early photo of light cruiser Emden. Ive been looking for period photo of her for a while. Thanks to heads up from Hucks216 I found what i was looking for.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Emden Grouping (Light cruiser)  

My grandparents live in Emden (gemany), my granddad collects information about ships I will ask him if he knows something about this ship.
    Could be he has some pictures from it or something like it.

cheers,

Decorative Sports Award For crew member of Emden, Contribution on behalf of Fellow collector