Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Erwin König real or not?

Article about: So the other day i watched the movie enemy at the gates for about the 100 time and the German super sniper is Erwin König. When i looked around on the internet for futher look into the story

Default Re: Erwin König real or not?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Paul: Without actually saying, you have hit the nail squaely on the head. When Hollywood makes a movie with the notice, "based on a true story," 99% of American movie goers will believe it's real history, and the myth is born. I have lost track of the numbers who believe Saving Private Ryan was factual, Dwight
    On the other hand, the Hollywood productions like 'Sergeant York' and 'Band Of Brothers'
    were factual - with artistic licence, surely - unless Stephen Ambrose concocted the
    entire story for his book of the same name.

But I agree, there are many people who believe fictional movies
    are taken from actual events.........
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erwin König real or not?
    P
    Many

Dave Leo
    ?

I think the Germans destroyed all records of Konig to save face. Here is an actual interview with Vasily Zaytsev in which he mentions not only Konig, the battle but the sniper school as well.https://youtu.be/692xwcADYdw

Quote by Dave Leo View Post
    I think the Germans destroyed all records of Konig to save face. Here is an actual interview with Vasily Zaytsev in which he mentions not only Konig, the battle but the sniper school as well.https://youtu.be/692xwcADYdw
    I think you need to take that interview with a pinch of salt. Sounds like he is just repeating Communist propaganda and 'towing the line'.
    Considering the German's lost 400,000 men in the Stalingrad battle why worry about saving face over one supposed Major considering all the other higher ranking officers they lost?

I also believe the story to be pure fiction, bottom line, as repeated before, why would the German army send the most elite sniper to the mincing machine of Stalingrad?

it is a movie - based on a real event with fictional characters - it is like fury...

But it ain't, that duel never occurred.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    ... The rifle scope taken from the killed German sniper is now at the Central Army Museum in Moscow, Russia. German who was shot in the duel was SS sniper Colonel Heinz Thorvald. ....
    Schutzstaffel in Stalingrad ? ...

That's what many ebay sellers would have us believe!

?

Looking back i can remember my first time in Stalingrad , we were with a number of Russian veterans and when they were asked about this they all roared with laughter , they knew it was propoganda rubbish !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2