Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Erwin König real or not?

Article about: So the other day i watched the movie enemy at the gates for about the 100 time and the German super sniper is Erwin König. When i looked around on the internet for futher look into the story

Default Erwin König real or not?

So the other day i watched the movie enemy at the gates for about the 100 time and the German super sniper is Erwin König.
    When i looked around on the internet for futher look into the story it appears that there is a debate to is he real or not?
    After a while of looking around I started to go to the side that he was just made up however,
    i came across someplace that his daughter aparently confronted Vasily Zaytsev once at a Soviet event
    What does everyone else think about it ?
    Is he real or not?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erwin König real or not?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Erwin König real or not?

I've read the real German sniper was sniping ace Heinz Thorvald, the Germans so as not to lose face said the sniper was König.

Intereting, not heard that version before
    Do you think the daughter was a made believe story on the soviet part ?

No idea on that Daniel.

Just found this on iMDb "The duel between Zaitsev and Konig is partially based on records made by Zaitsev. The rifle scope taken from the killed German sniper is now at the Central Army Museum in Moscow, Russia. German who was shot in the duel was SS sniper Colonel Heinz Thorvald. The Germans claimed someone named Koenig had been shot in the duel and not Thorvald because they didn't want to admit their ace was down. This was claimed by Zaitsev, who also found the papers on the body identifying him as Thorvald."

I guess its a debate that will just go on with no real answer

?

Guys the duel between the snipers in Stalingrad is complete fantasy and just Soviet propoganda , Koening / Thorvald etc etc never existed and no trace of any such sniper exists in German records ,the Zaitsev story is just part of the propoganda that surrounded Zaitsev.

This has been heavily debated before on other forums !!

Why would the Germans send a high ranking Officer and commander of a sniper school to Stalingrad when the best snipers and those with the biggest kill counts in the Wehrmacht were all low ranking soldiers who were Frontkampfer not Officers ie Mathias Hetzenauer / Sepp Allerbeger etc etc.

Crawling out over an intensive , built up, destroyed inner city Battlefield such as Stalingrad to retrieve a scope or ther papers of an opponent is tantamount to suicide , pure Hollywood and propoganda!!

Vasily Zaitsev was far too good at what he did to be doing anything like that !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

myths and legends never die.

Paul: Without actually saying, you have hit the nail squaely on the head. When Hollywood makes a movie with the notice, "based on a true story," 99% of American movie goers will believe it's real history, and the myth is born. I have lost track of the numbers who believe Saving Private Ryan was factual, Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Paul: Without actually saying, you have hit the nail squaely on the head. When Hollywood makes a movie with the notice, "based on a true story," 99% of American movie goers will believe it's real history, and the myth is born. I have lost track of the numbers who believe Saving Private Ryan was factual, Dwight
    haha, not war related, but the horror movie "The Strangers" was "based on a true story". When delving deeper into it (because the movie creeped me out) turns out, when he was a child some strangers knocked on his door and walked away....That was the extent of the truth behind it haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast