Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Friedrich Buchardt's awards and service history?

Article about: I was reading about Friedrich Buchardt, a notorious Einsatzgruppe commander from Latvia. His Wikipedia page claims that during his service he was awarded the iron cross, infantry assault bad

Question Friedrich Buchardt's awards and service history?

I was reading about Friedrich Buchardt, a notorious Einsatzgruppe commander from Latvia. His Wikipedia page claims that during his service he was awarded the iron cross, infantry assault badge, war merit cross, and silver badge of courage (whatever that is).

Seems rather strange that an einsatzgruppe officer would receive such combat decorations. Is the Wikipedia page correct, did Buchardt truly earn these awards, and how?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Friedrich Buchardt's awards and service history?
    P
    Many

IF correct, most likely given for fighting the Red Army offensive or actions against the Partizans.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Not sure if he was truly awarded these, but as an Obersturmbannführer he would be more likely to be given awards.
    Apparently your average foot soldier would have to go to great lengths of bravery to get any award whereas the higher ranking soldiers were given awards for seemingly very little.
    Moreover, if the average soldier was given an EK1 or higher he was then presented as an example to the other soldiers and moved to the toughest front lines to inspire them - somewhat of a death warrant in itself.
    I read about this in 'Blood Red Snow'.
    Nick

Quote by Blitzvogel View Post
    His Wikipedia page claims that during his service he was awarded the iron cross, infantry assault badge, war merit cross, and silver badge of courage (whatever that is). Seems rather strange that an einsatzgruppe officer would receive such combat decorations. Is the Wikipedia page correct, did Buchardt truly earn these awards, and how?
    The SS-Dienstalterslisten [SS officers' seniority lists] confirm that he was awarded the EK II, KVK I mS (which means that he must have also held the KVK II) and "other decorations earned in the field" (the latter was catch-all category for all war decorations besides those that were individually specified by the lists; the ISA would fall into this category. No idea what that "silver badge of courage" is supposed to be.

I have no details on the missions/assignments for which he was awarded these decorations.