Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

German Soldier's military service

Article about: Hello to all I have never researched anything WW2 or III Reich related in my museum work so far, thus I decided to ask for help. Our local museum owns a small portrait of a fallen German sol

Default German Soldier's military service

Hello to all

I have never researched anything WW2 or III Reich related in my museum work so far, thus I decided to ask for help. Our local museum owns a small portrait of a fallen German soldier from Silesia. Long story short, I ended up doing a small research. Recently I received a reply from the Bundesarchiv with details of his miitary career. It is just numbers and number for me, so forgive me if I skip them.

The lad, named Mertin entered the ranks in 1941. He started his service in a Landesschützen Bataillon. Then in 1942 the records mention an Aufstellungsstab in Arys-Nord and later an Feldersatz-Bataillon. Finally in march 1942, half a year before his death the man was transferred to an Infanterie-Regiment.

Is there any "scheme" in this path of service? How typical was it for a German soldier in ww2? Was the soldier first placed in reserve units?
    Another thing is, I cannot tell the difference between a Landesschützen Bataillon and a Feldersatz-Bataillon. I have a feeling the latter would fill in the ranks of a specific line unit with fresh soldiers, but would the Feldersatz-Bataillon follow a line regiment on the front or was it stationed way hundreds/thousands km away from the fighting zone?

Those of you who understand German can take a look at my very modest attempt to reveal at least some details from the soldier's life (i wrote it before getting a reply from the Bundesarchiv): Ein Soldat aus Liegnitz - Haus Schlesien

Thank you in advance to anyone, who decides to contribute to this thread

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Soldier's military service
    P
    Many

The Landesschütz Bataillon were not the same as the Feldersatz Bataillon. Landesschütz personnel were usually those men not deemed fit for frontline service, these units generally served as local security, guarding prisoners or installations within the Reich. As the war went on such units inevitably had to fill the ranks of the Wehrmacht line units as they were bled white on the Steppes of the East.

I enjoyed reading your synopsis of this bespectacled Landser and his fate in the East, not unusual but knowing his fate and seeing his face makes his story all the more real and human. May he rest in peace and credit to you for telling his story.