Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Good books

Article about: Hey guys, Would anyone be able to recommend any good books on Nazi medals, helmets, daggers etc that would be of great help in myself learning about the individual pieces and also a referenc

Default Good books

Hey guys,

Would anyone be able to recommend any good books on Nazi medals, helmets, daggers etc that would be of great help in myself learning about the individual pieces and also a reference on fakes and how to tell if its original and what to look for.

Cheers,
    Adam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Good books
    P
    Many

Hi Adam. Phil De Bocks PKA book is a must, so is Frank H's ASA book IMO. Sacha Weber's ISA book is quality too. It all depends on your collecting interest really. Stewy

Cool, thanks for that. I will check them out. At the moment my interests lie in Third Reich stuff, medals and so forth.

Quote by Military Man View Post
    Cool, thanks for that. I will check them out. At the moment my interests lie in Third Reich stuff, medals and so forth.
    'Stuff' still leaves a very broad field to concentrate on. It is hard to recommend books when the scope is so large. As Stewy has mentioned there are those books and many others that concentrate on single award types - and just getting those alone will set you back 100's of NZ$. Nearly all the main combat awards have their own dedicated book now. Then you have numerous publications on headgear, uniforms, pins & badges, weapons, items carried by soldiers, paperwork, belt buckles, artwork and so on and so on. Just take a look at the liste of books on these two sites and see just how broad the scope is - and these lists barely scratch the surface on publications available...
    Books
    Books - Regular Editions - B&D Publishing LLC

And as for books helping to determine originality, even the authors get it wrong from time to time and have published what they believed to be original items only for those items to be shown as fakes later down the line.
    Try and concentrate on one particular area if for no other reason than it will save you money in the long run.

I know this gets said a lot, but being a member here is as good or better than any book. Plenty of examples of anything militaria to study, along with feedback from some very experienced collectors.

I do have several books as well, they are nice to have... But this is a top notch resource.

Quote by Military Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum,

If that's what you're looking at then any of these will work. They're expensive though, several hundred dollars worth here alone, but they are indispensible if you're serious.

Regards, Ned.

Good books
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

So it looks like ill be investing in a lot of books, but I am very serious about collecting so it will be an investment, ill try and track some down. This forum is great, so glad I found it.

Cheers for all the help and book titles,
    Adam

This book by Ken is a must have for helmets.

Good books

You can buy it directly from him on his website, German Helmets Inc