Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Headstone of Field Marshal Walter Model stolen from Cemetery

Article about: Argunners Magazine April 25, 2015 Today, Argunners, was making a photographic reportage of various Military Cemeteries in and around Hürtgenwald such as the German Military Cemetery Vossenac

?

Default Headstone of Field Marshal Walter Model stolen from Cemetery

Argunners Magazine April 25, 2015

Today, Argunners, was making a photographic reportage of various Military Cemeteries in and around Hürtgenwald such as the German Military Cemetery Vossenack and the German Military Cemetery Hürtgenwald (where Friedrich Lengfeld lies buried, a German Officer who gave his life for an American Soldier who was severely wounded) for our project “MICIE”.
    “MICIE” is a project to photograph all Military Cemeteries which are based in Europe, make pictures of graves for family members who are far away and cannot visit the grave and, or light a candle or lay flowers on a grave for family members, relatives or veteran organizations that request it. Whilst visiting the German Military Cemetery Vossenack (“Kriegsgräberstätte Vossenack”) we found out that the Headstone of Field Marshal Walter Model (and Hermann Henschke) has been stolen. We are astonished that such disrespectful, dishonorable behavior and grave robbing still exists today in a society that is said and was meant to learn from its past and history. Clearly for some people the values of life lay a whole bridge lower. We should note, sadly, that the cemetery is in a dishonorable state. Some graves are getting unreadable, dog or cat poop on the cemetery and even upon the graves, rubbish all over the terrain and so on. We pay our deepest respect to the United States of America who keep their military cemeteries in the highest form of honor. From all the US Cemeteries we have visited ranging from Henri Chapelle to Lorraine, there is not a slightest chance, to ever find such state on a US Cemetery.

http://www.argunners.com/headstone-o...from-cemetery/

Moderators are free to relocate, delete or do other changes on this thread.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Headstone of Field Marshal Walter Model stolen from Cemetery  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Headstone of Field Marshal Walter Model stolen from Cemetery
    P
    Many

Why??
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

To be sold or collected !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

There are some sick people out there

scumbags.

Agree. Sick thing to do. Ironic also, I just watched a show on Model and his defense of the Siegfried Line. He sounded like a very competent leader.

This is unbelievable and also pointless. This was just a square of stone with the name Walter Model on it (and of course Hermann Henschke). It really has no intrinsic value historical or otherwise. It is simply a grave marker. This desecration pure and simple.

I visited this cemetary whilst serving in Germany and I felt like someone "in the know" as it were when I came accross this grave marker because most visitors would not have remarked on such an unobtrusive piece. Whoever did this is beneath contempt and I wish them the same regard from others when they are laid to rest!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Reading from the internet, this grave marker has been stolen and replaced at least six times over the years, making this the seventh time.

CBH
    ?

I read this on FB , this kind of thing paints all military collectors in a bad light . I guess stealing a headstone is as grave robber as you can get , without a shovel . I read yesterday that the are replacing the Work = Freedom gate , with a remake after that was stolen last year ! People are Crazy !

Hi, I can not believe I'm reading this posting. How very sad. In fact disgraceful.
    GFM WALTER MODEL, was one the best TR Generals. A very competent man, marshalling men and plugging gaps in the most dangerous situations possible on the eastern front. He was nick named HITLERS FIREMAN. For oblivious reasons. Two thirds of the German soldiers fought in the east against impossible odds and accomplished miracles due to good leadership. Although a Nazi himself he often defied Hilter for the sake of his men, showing he was a great Marshall. Taking the place of of the best Marshall of the TR ( MAINSTEIN ) must have been the pinnacle of Model's career. Last but not least, ordering his men out of the Falaise Gap saving so many lives, taking the responsibility for his actions and taking his own life.

Perhaps being the commander of Hundreds of Thousands of men running around causing death and destruction, some committing terrible crimes against humanity, some people see him as a accomplice and think he should not rest in peace. Not letting him have a head stone is as bad as an unknown/marked grave only fit for the Top notorious Nazis.

Model should be left in peace as a respected and fine commander of those times.
    Last edited by Silberkreuz; 07-04-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast