Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hells Gate

Article about: by hucks216 Paul, Just wondering if you have read Demolishing The Myth by Valeriy Zamulin? If so, is it any good? I am reading Blood, Steel & Myth at the moment and it is indeed a fantas

Default Hells Gate

Hey Guys just remembered another one Hells Gate by Douglas Nash. It is about the breakout of the Cherkassy Caludron in January and February of 1944. It is filled with some true horror events that transpired. Luckily Manstein was in charge and managed to save a lot of poor trapped soldiers due to a narrow corridor they managed to keep open. This book is expensive but can be found on Amazon used along with The Black March by SS man Peter Neumann. If interested you will not be disappointed. Will go through some of the zillion I have read and pick out the best ones to list so you do not have to take a chance on buying something that is not filled with some good action. Bought some written by guys who were in the thick of it but books were lousy. Hardly any action. Will post more soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hells Gate
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hells Gate

Yeah. thanks for the heads up the title. Keep us posted. If you like you can PM me, so i dont lose track of this tread. Going to Ebay and start searching for these books. Thanks.

- - Updated - -

Had to save the search for Hell's Gate. Only one on Ebay, but one will come around.

Octavian Google up Amazon books if you haven't tried yet. This book is a large hardcover but hopefully may be issued in paperback if not already. I know books are very expensive these days but can be had for short money if bought used on Amazon. Black March is in paper back and dirt cheap off Amazon. I usually keep the best ones read as I sold a number of books at a second hand bookstore only to find out they give you about 2 bucks apiece. hope this helps

Yes. Amazon may be the way to go on Hell's Gate. If i am patient i just may be able to land it when someone reads it and auctions it?!? You may be amazed too how long i have waited for certain books to come my way. Five years for one specific title. House of Dolls by Ka-tzetnik's (a gruesome book on the Holocaust). Its rare to get for a cheap price, but got one for 2 bucks!. If i really want to read it now, without buying, I can Inter-Library Loan it. This is an awesome way to get free books. Yet the Hell's Gate sounds like a keeper! Thanks friend.

Thanks Mauser, its now on my radar

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I have a copy of Hells Gate and it is a superbly researched history of the Cherkassy pocket , Doug Nash is one of the Top authors on the Eastern Front in the same league as George Nipe.

These books contain excellent veteran accounts / photos / maps and in depth research into the Strategic and tactical situations of both protagonists . Due to the amount of information and the quality of the publishing these books cost more than many of the spate of recent memoirs that are hitting the market but in my opinion are far superior and well worth the money !!

I also recommend the following

Last Victory in Russia by Geoege Nipe about the Battle of Kharkov

Blood , Steel and Myth by Nipe , if you only buy one book about Kursk this is it

Platz der Leibstandarte by Nipe and Remy Spazzano , Kharkov again

SS Panzer Aufklarungs Abteilung 11 Nordland by Pollner / Mansson / Westburg , Armoured Recce with the Waffen SS on the Eastern Front

Viking Panzers by Ewald Klapdor

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul !

I have read Viking Panzers and really enjoyed it !

Not forgetting the excellent 'Hitlers Vikings' which your good self contributed to

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Big for 'Hells Gate'!

One of my favourite WW2 books, alongside 'An Infantryman in Stalingrad' by Adelbert Holl.

Quote by Paul E View Post

I also recommend the following...

Blood , Steel and Myth by Nipe , if you only buy one book about Kursk this is it

Paul,
    Just wondering if you have read Demolishing The Myth by Valeriy Zamulin? If so, is it any good? I am reading Blood, Steel & Myth at the moment and it is indeed a fantastic read - much better than I thought it was going to be and with great maps. Demolishing The Myth covers the same area but from the Russian side and was just wondering how they compare as I may well get it next.

Thanks for replies and recommendations. And I almost forgot if any of you out there has a Nook or a Kindle you might be able to download these. Can't believe i forgot to mention. Give me a couple of days and will go through my remaining books and recommend the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast