Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hitler's dogs

Article about: Most of us know at least a little about the Führer's four legged friends, but I thought that it might be interesting to some, to write a little about this particular "wolf pack" wi

?

Default Hitler's dogs

Most of us know at least a little about the Führer's four legged friends, but I thought that it might be interesting to some, to write a little about this particular "wolf pack" within the Nazi leader's inner circle...

The famous terrier, Fuchsl, who was Hitler's WWI companion, probably started it all off for young Adolf, who quickly grew attached to his faithful four legged companions. A few years after WWI, a German Shepherd named Prinz, became Hitler's companion in 1921. Due to a lack of funds, Hitler was forced to give away Prinz, but the dog ran away from his new owner and found his way back to his former master. An event that helped strengthen Hitler's appreciation for loyalty no doubt! He later also owned another German Shepherd called Muckl.

Before the famous Blondi, Hitler owned two German Shepherd bitches, both called Blonda. The original Blonda was born in 1926, and was the mother of the second Blonda, who was born during 1930.

Blondi was given to Hitler by Martin Bormann, as a gift during 1941. In May of 1942, Hitler bought Bella, a German Shepherd bitch from Ingolstadt, as company for Blondi. Perhaps he knew that busier times were ahead, and didn't want the dog to feel lonely or neglected...

Eva Braun, herself a dog lover, was not keen on Blondi at all. According to Traudl Junge, Hitler's secretary, Eva used to secretly kick Blondi under the dinner table, whenever Hitler wasn't paying attention. On more than one occasion, Junge remembered how following a yelp from Blondi, Hitler would cast a suspicious glance towards Eva, but nothing was ever said publicly, or at least, not in front of Traudl Junge. Eva prefered the company of her two Scottish Terriers, Negus and Stasi (also known as Katuschka). These little dust shufflers seemed to annoy Hitler though, he preferring a "real" dog, such as a German Shepherd.

In the spring of 1945, Blondi had a litter of five pups, fathered by Gerdy Troost's German Shepherd, Harras. Hitler named one pup Wolf, his favourite nickname, and despite the rapid collapse of his Thousand Year Reich, still found time to begin personally training her. One of the pups was reserved for Gretl Braun, Eva's sister. Gretl received a letter and accompanying photograph of the pups, with her pup indicated, from Eva shortly before the final days of the Third Reich.

During the last days of the Nazi regime, the bizarre scenario played out with most of the key Nazi figures choosing to either go down with the ship, or run away and hide. There was no running away by the dogs though, as Blondi and her pups entered the Führerbunker, along with their master. A guard's room was even altered and became known as the Hundbunker. One witness stated that earlier in the war, they saw Hitler holding Blondi's face close to his own, and gazing into her eyes he said "Sometimes Blondi, I think that you are the only one that I can trust." When the final moments came for Hitler's beloved dog, the man was but a broken shell of his former self, and following the death of Blondi, due to cyanide capsules administered by Dr.Werner Haase, Hitler was reportedly totally inconsolable. Eye witnesses have stated that following the joint suicide of Adolf Hitler and his wife Eva, Feldwebel Fritz Tornow, Hitler's dog handler, took Blondi's pups outside to the garden above the Führerbunker, and shot them. Tornow was also said to have killed Eva's two Scottish Terriers, along with his own dachshund.

Below are a few images of Hitler, along with his faithful companion. (Note the swastika on the wicker chair, a nice touch.)

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler's dogs   Hitler's dogs  

Hitler's dogs  
    Attached Images Attached Images Hitler's dogs 
    Last edited by CARL; 01-17-2013 at 09:49 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hitler's dogs
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hitler's dogs

Thank you for some very detailed and interesting information on Adolf and Eva´s dogs. This is the kind of info that makes this forum so great to be a member of!
    I guess he was right; you can always trust your dog.
    Blondi was in fact a pretty girl.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Thank you for your kind words Chris, and yes, I agree with you, Blondi certainly was a nice looking dog.

Regards,

Carl

?

Really enjoyed the history, thanks for taking the time to post.

Gruss
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Interesting thread Carl and great photos too. I had no idea about Hitler's dog history other than Blondi and Prinz. Thank you for taking the time to share this information.

The dog in the black and white photo at the end looks like a Malinios.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Fascinating ! Many thanks Carl

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thank you all for your kind words. As I love dogs, as well as the obvious passion for tigers(!), and I am fascinated by all things Third Reich, this is something that can't fail to interest me...maybe I have found my niche!

Allow me to add a little story that I forgot to include above...

One afternoon, during the '43-'44 period if memory serves me correctly, Hitler was out walking Blondi, and (forgive me for forgetting the officer's name) a member of the OKW staff was waiting rather impatiently to speak with the Fuhrer, about the critical situation on the Eastern Front. When Hitler eventually returned, the officer couldn't get a word in...all Hitler wanted to talk about was how "Blondi has just broken her vertical jump record!". Answers a few questions for the historians amongst us eh?

Regards,

Carl

Great stories, Carl, really interesting. I love these little snippets of information, I suppose Hitlers dogs are not something that I often think about. (I have a border collie)

Thanks for the post,I have two golden Labs that I love.Dogs make life a lot better.

Quote by operaman View Post
    . . .Dogs make life a lot better.
    Well said. I could not agree more.

Thanks for the post Carl - most interesting.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast