Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Info on German grave registration during the war period.

Article about: I am look for info on the German grave registration during the war time. Mostly after the Normandy battle who took care of the German bodies I know some were taking care by the US grave regi

Default Info on German grave registration during the war period.

I am look for info on the German grave registration during the war time.
    Mostly after the Normandy battle who took care of the German bodies I know some were taking care by the US grave registration but looking for more details.
    Any info would be great.
    Thank you
    chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Info on German grave registration during the war period.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Info on German grave registration during the war period.

I do not think there is much info about this out there.
    But we will see.
    chris

?

The Bodies of German service men were taking care by the allies forces during the war period ,I can not tell you when the German took over sorry.there is very little info about that period.

ian
    ?

my mothe rtold me that in 1944 the russians pushed through where she was at the time,in hungary ,lots of fighting ,, the russians took care of there own dead but left the germans where they lay ,, she said the locals gathered the german bodies and put them on horse carts and took them to the local nunnery and bueried them in the gardens there ,, no dog tags were taken and there was no record of it ,,she said they went to there graves with all of there kit ,except some weapons which the locals hid away ,,it caused some scandal she said as when they were diging the graves in the garden of the nunnery,they dug up quite a few BABY scelletons ?? ,,ill let you all come to your own conclusions about that
    cheers ian

?

Chris most of the German units usually at Divison level started their own Ehrenfriedhof behind the front , some large , some small , on the Eastern Front some of them were maintained for quite some time but after the retreats from the east the cemeteries were left in situe , most of them were forgotten or destroyed by the Soviets..

On the Western Front as you know many of the field burials and Field cemeteris were all collected into larger communal cemeteries now under Volksbund control , when exactly and under whose initial control i'm not sure !!

Many British cemeteries in Normandy also contain German graves so presumably this was done at the time of establishment by the Imperial war graves commission.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I speculate that the locals had to do the job. In a country like France I would think the parish priest or the local police would have been involved...
    Of course the Ostfront is an entirely different story...I saw an interview with a woman from Koenigsberg where she states that while being forced by the Russians to bury the German dead they were not permitted to remove the dog-tags from the bodies...deliberately.
    cheers, Glenn

there is not much info ,I have been looking but nothing.
    The only info I found was 1948 before anything was really done
    chris