Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Looking info about SD officer Philipp Schmitt

Article about: Hello! I was wondering if any forum members here have some information about SS-Sturmbannführer Philipp Schmitt (Other than what is already said on his Wikipedia page). I'm particularly curi

Default Looking info about SD officer Philipp Schmitt

Hello!

I was wondering if any forum members here have some information about SS-Sturmbannführer Philipp Schmitt (Other than what is already said on his Wikipedia page). I'm particularly curious as to what is on his ribbon bar, and how he earned these awards and decorations. Probably impossible to tell from this picture though. It also seems that he is wearing a modified Heer wool tunic, which is quite unusual for an SD major?

Looking info about SD officer Philipp Schmitt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looking info about SD officer Philipp Schmitt
    P
    Many

Here's what the SS-Dienstalterslisten [Officer Seniority Lists] tell us:

Name: Philipp Schmitt
    Date of birth: 20 Nov. 1902
    NSDAP no.: 19 192
    SS no.: 44 291
    Promotion dates:
    - 15 Sept. 1935 - Untersturmführer
    - 13 Sept. 1936 - Obersturmführer
    - 20 April 1938 - Hauptsturmführer
    - 1 Aug. 1940 - Sturmbannführer
    Officer rank in the Waffen-SS, Wehrmacht or Polizei:
    - Leutnant der Reserve
    Duty positions:
    - SD-Hauptamt (SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1936, 1 Dec. 1937 and 1 Dec. 1938)
    - Reichssicherheitshauptamt (DAL of 1 Oct. 1942, 1 Oct. 1943 and 1 Oct. 1944)
    Awards and decorations:
    - SA-Sportabzeichen [SA Sports Badge]
    - Totenkopfring der SS [SS Honor Ring]
    - Ehrendegen des Reichsführers-SS [SS Honor Sword]
    Other data:
    - Member of Lebensborn e.V.
    - Full-time officer in the Allgemeine SS

Many thanks HPL!

But he doesn't seem to be wearing his Sportabzeichen? I thought German military personnel took great pride in their decorations and always wore them when allowed? Or had he not yet earned it when this picture was taken?

Quote by Blitzvogel View Post
    I thought German military personnel took great pride in their decorations and always wore them when allowed? Or had he not yet earned it when this picture was taken?
    No; this is a wartime photo and he had already qualified for the badge in the pre-war years.

The SA Sports Badge could be worn with all SS service uniforms, but this was not compulsory, and Schmitt apparently chose not to do so. (It is actually not so uncommon to see sports badges and such omitted from duty-/field uniforms.)

On the other hand, in order to retain the SA-Sportabzeichen, annual repetition exercises had to be passed, so there is the possibility that he simply hadn't re-qualified for the badge during the war years. (The wartime SS-Dienstalterslisten don't list sports badges, so they don't tell us whether Schmitt still held his at the time.)

Thanks!

But what about his ribbon bar, then? Or is it even a ribbon bar, since he only earned one medal (The sports badge)?

Quote by Blitzvogel View Post
    But what about his ribbon bar, then? Or is it even a ribbon bar, since he only earned one medal (The sports badge)?
    It is definitely a ribbon bar, but the photo isn't nearly clear enought to make out which decorations it represents.

You must understand that the SS-Dienstalterslisten do not list all awards and decorations.

When it comes to civilian/political/peacetime awards, they only identify the Golden Party Badge, the Coburg Badge, the Blood Order, the SS Honor Ring and the SS Honor Sword; the pre-war lists also have the SA Sports Badge and the German Sports Badge.

Apart from those, only war decorations (WW1 and WW2) are listed.

So, for example, they do not list any of the various long service awards, the three "flower war" medals, the Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen, the Lifesaving Medal, the Red Cross/Volkspflege-, Fire- and Air Defense decorations etc. etc.

I see. Again I must thank you for your expertise!