Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MP40 sound suppressor...

Article about: Hello guys! A friend of mine, here in Crete, has a muzzle of an MP40 that has threads on its end... I had a fast google search and found out that the Germans made some tests in order to prod

Default MP40 sound suppressor...

Hello guys! A friend of mine, here in Crete, has a muzzle of an MP40 that has threads on its end... I had a fast google search and found out that the Germans made some tests in order to produce a sound suppressor for their sub-machine gun but it never really went on full produce! I also found a post here in the forum ( https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...ilencer-37473/ ) regarding the silenced MP40...

My question is this: Are these MP40's rare? Does anyone have one in his collection in the forum? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the most common WW2 item (such as a British helmet) and 10 the most rare ones ( Knight's Cross, Tiger tank etc. ) where would you place the parts of that gun or the gun itself?

(the whole gun was found in the sea so he managed to retrieve half muzzle and the bakelite parts... The rest of the gun was stuck on the rock and broke apart when he tried to take it)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement MP40 sound suppressor...
    P
    Many

The threaded muzzle usually has a muzzle nut on it. I have never seen a suppressor on one. If so, the Germans would have to make some subsonic ammo to use in them. They are real noisy without it. Shot a lot of MAC 10's in 9mm with suppressors on them. And believe me you want the Subsonic ammo to make them work quietly.
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

The MP40 was made in mass production. They are not really rare. They are just getting harder to obtain.

Thanks for your answer guns ltd ( o.0 ) !! I don't know about the noise but i'm curious on how this MP40 ended up at Crete ... The muzzle ended with the threads and it didn't have the typical mp40 muzzle end. It was like the one in the picture i found online!

These threads were for the muzzle nut or for a sound suppressor?

My MP 40 and all the ones that I have Examined had muzzle nuts and threaded barrels. The one in the picture looks odd. The sight doesn't look right for a standard MP40. After WWII these MP40's were sold all over the world. very Popular SMG.

John

No no... I'm not showing this picture for the sights! I just wanted to give you an idea on how the muzzle's end looks like! It has these threads on the outside of the barrel and i don't know if this was standard for any MP40 that didn't had the muzzle nut on it or it was done so the soldaten could fix a sound suppressor on it!

Looks like a normal MP40 to me. The sight hood is missing.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade the pic i'm showing isn't what my friend has! I just googled it in order to give you an idea on what the muzzle's threads look like and that's the best i could find!

Hi Mike, post a pic when you can then.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!