MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

museums in south Germany

Article about: Hi I have family in the Stuttgart area and was wondering if anyone knows of any WW2 museums in that area. Am I right in thinking Rommels birth place is around there somewhere and if so is it

Default museums in south Germany

Hi

I have family in the Stuttgart area and was wondering if anyone knows of any WW2 museums in that area.
    Am I right in thinking Rommels birth place is around there somewhere and if so is it open to visitors?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement museums in south Germany
    P
    Many

Default Re: museums in south Germany

The town museum is outstanding. It is situated in the castle where Col Von Staufenberg was born. This museum does not house much in the way of anything from the war, but is well worth visiting if you like history in general. The Bronze Age exhibits are world class. Some good Roman stuff too.

Some of Rommel's items can be seen at another museum outside of the town. I did not realise this when I visited the town for the annual arms fair a few years ago now.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture museums in south Germany  

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The town museum is outstanding. It is situated in the castle where Col Von Staufenberg was born. This museum does not house much in the way of anything from the war, but is well worth visiting if you like history in general. The Bronze Age exhibits are world class. Some good Roman stuff too.

Some of Rommel's items can be seen at another museum outside of the town. I did not realise this when I visited the town for the annual arms fair a few years ago now.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks for that Ade. Can you remember the name of the museum with the Rommel items?

Hi, you are in luck as there is a special exhibition going on until the end of Sept:

Mythos Rommel|Haus der Geschichte Baden-Württemberg

Mythos Rommel Ausstellung in Stuttgart

Place:
    Haus der Geschichte Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Konard-Adrenauer-str. 16
    Stuttgart

Hours:
    Daily (closed Mondays) 10-6
    Thursdays 10-9
    4.50 EUR for permanent and special exhibit

Tel: 0711/212.39.89
    besucherdienst@hdgbw.de

U-Bahn:
    U 1, 2, 4, 9, 14 (Staatsgalerie)
    Bus: 40, 42, 44

Here are some more shots of the castle and the exhibits. I love this type of thing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture museums in south Germany   museums in south Germany  

museums in south Germany  

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Here are some more shots of the castle and the exhibits. I love this type of thing
    Brilliant! Thanks for that. Somewhere to go while my wife goes shopping with her sister!!!

Someone has mentioned Sinsheim museum nearby which houses a Tiger! Are you aware of this one?

I know of this auto & technical museum and have seen many photos of it online. It looks excellent. Certainly well worth going to by all accounts.

Auto und Technik MUSEUM SINSHEIM

Cheers, Ade.