Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My Wehrmacht Friend

Article about: Thought I would share some photos of me and my good friend who served in the Wehrmacht during WW2. He was originally in the Luftwaffe, but later transferred to the Wehrmacht. He fought on bo

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Im going to wear this shirt during our next visit. I want to see if he recognizes the camo pattern lol.

Best regards- Jarret

Attachment 1123116
    My Wehrmacht Friend

Hard to say if he will or he will not. Anymore...clothing styles and patterns which include camo colors are worn by nearly many types of people...give it a shot and see. ...he appeared to be more entranced by the stick grenade that he was holding.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Wehrmacht Friend
    P
    Many

Yes he really did like that M24 I brought with me. Im sure he thew many of them during the war. Here is a better pic of that same exact M24. Unfortunately I no longer have this same grenade, another collector made me an offer I couldn't refuse. But i still do have other M24s in my collection. Best regards- Jarret

My Wehrmacht Friend

?

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Thought I would share some photos of me and my good friend who served in the Wehrmacht during WW2. He was originally in the Luftwaffe, but later transferred to the Wehrmacht. He fought on both eastern, and western fronts. He was captured by the British in 1944, and once released he returned to his home in east Germany. He escaped the communist In the east, and safety made it to west Germany. Once he made it to west Germany he immigrated to the U.S. and the rest is history. I visit him every chance I get, and his memories of the war are amazing. Here are some pictures of me reuniting him with the same type of equipment he would have used. His eyes instantly lit up once he
    saw the potato masher again lol. If you have any questions about his journey, please let me know and i will try to answer them. Best regards- Jarret

Attachment 1122794Attachment 1122795Attachment 1122796
    What unit was he with when he was captured by the British and where was it ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

He was in the 47th volksgrenadier division of the Wehrmacht during the time of his capture. The division that captured him was a part of the 15th infantry division. He recalled how the men of this division emptied every round of there MGs into his unit. They were all waving white handkerchiefs, and these men of the 15th were still shooting. My friend was hit in the legs multiple times, and collapsed. Several men from his unit were killed during this surrender attempt, including his sergeant. This all took place in Holland. Hope the information was useful!

Best regards- Jarret

Interesting story Jarret. If you get a chance, can you ask your friend in what month of 1944 he was captured and if he remembers which town or locality in Holland?
    When you say he was captured by troops of the 15th Infantry Division are you saying that was a British Division? If it is, it was probably the 15th (Scottish) Division and probably places his capture around early November 1944 perhaps near Liessel.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Interesting story Jarret. If you get a chance, can you ask your friend in what month of 1944 he was captured and if he remembers which town or locality in Holland?
    When you say he was captured by troops of the 15th Infantry Division are you saying that was a British Division? If it is, it was probably the 15th (Scottish) Division and probably places his capture around early November 1944 perhaps near Liessel.
    I apologize for the late reply. Yes I can ask him these questions during our next visit. One thing I thought I might mention is, he really doesn't enjoy talking about the war 24/7. He likes to have regular every day conversations. such as- Current events, local weather, sports teams, and ect. But every now and then, he will open up about the war. Yes when I refer to the 15th, I mean the British. They shot at him, and his unit with the 50 caliber Vickers machine gun. They shot from armored vehicles. Could you imagine the 50 caliber round going through both of your legs multiple times? he still complains about pains even today as a result of those Injuries. Thank you Anderson for this information, I greatly appreciate it.

Best regards- Jarret

I'm still amused at the black wound badge at church. I see you are from Texas too. If you are ever in the Houston area hit me up. We can go plinking.My Wehrmacht Friend

WOW! very nice collection of rifles! Good to see a fellow Texas collector. I live in the Houston area. how did your house fair during the hurricane? Mine flooded lol. I would defiantly be down for some plinking!

Best regards- Jarret

I'm sorry to hear that. We did ok. It was luck we bought a house on a hill.

Its all good, thank god for insurance lol. Good to hear your house survived. I'm really glad to meet another local collector, I'm sure ive probably run into you before at one of the many gun shows.

Best regards- Jarret

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast