Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Advice for my BA Thesis

Article about: Hey there guys, I am going to write my bachelor thesis in the coming months. I am going to compare German anti-partisan doctrines and strategies in occupied Eastern-Europe with US counterins

So no one knows about Nazi documents about their anti-partisan warfare? Or any scientific articles on the subject? I cannot find a lot. Maybe I should listen to you KMMoris, and write about something else

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Advice for my BA Thesis
    P
    Many

Lars in Stalingrad particularly there were a huge number of Hiwis and civilians willing to help the Germans, it would seem 'tribal' divisions go a long way in explaining it. Don Cossacks and Ukrainians were particularly opposed to the Russians due to their treatment in the past, as I'm sure you know better than me. It could be compared to civilians in Iraq or Afghanistan helping coalition forces along similar sectarian lines, the enemy of my enemy and all that.

Of course there is also simple self preservation, and surely a million other factors.

?

Quote by Angatta View Post
    So no one knows about Nazi documents about their anti-partisan warfare? Or any scientific articles on the subject? I cannot find a lot. Maybe I should listen to you KMMoris, and write about something else
    I am sure that if you give it some time someone will chime in with some knowledge. Davis Irwing's book from 1977 "Hitlers War" touches on the subject. There could be some reference material in that book. I know he is not popular but the book is from before he became controversial. Furthermore he is a excellent historian. That you can't take from him.

It should be possible to find descriptions or books from people who actively took part in the Anti Partisan war on the Easter Front.

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I am sure that if you give it some time someone will chime in with some knowledge. Davis Irwing's book from 1977 "Hitlers War" touches on the subject. There could be some reference material in that book. I know he is not popular but the book is from before he became controversial. Furthermore he is a excellent historian. That you can't take from him.

It should be possible to find descriptions or books from people who actively took part in the Anti Partisan war on the Easter Front.

Regards, Lars
    Irving is a phuqin idiot. I damned sure I would quote him on anything or give credence to anything he has written.
    A personal opinion.

Remy, there is a book by French Maclean titled "The cruel hunters". It covers the career of Oskar Dirlewanger who commanded an anti-partisan unit on the Eastern Front. It was a Waffen-SS penal unit and miscreants were posted there to expunge their sins by service at the front. Dirlewanger also "participated" in suppressing the 1944 Warsaw Uprising. Also have a look at vom der Bach-Lewinski he was in charge of anti-partisan troops and was Dirlewanger's OC during the Uprising. The SOP of Dirlewanger's unit was, basically, kill them all. He survived the war, but was beaten to death in captivity. There are a number of websites that deal with Dirlewanger, including photos. Hope this is of assistance. You might like to look at "Afgansky", can't remember the author - it covers the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. Very readable. regards, David Richardson

Quote by hippojumbo View Post
    Also have a look at vom der Bach-Lewinski
    I think you will find that his name was von dem Bach-Zelewski.

Thanx for the input guys! Great help!

Just found some good articles and this book: bol.com | War in a Twilight World | Boeken.
    I think this subject might work out

As KMMorris has said, I would also be wary about trying to compare the anti- partisan war that the German's waged with COIN in Iraq and Afghan. I think that while it may be possible to find broad similarities, when you research deeper these will become less significant. You also have to think, is it really a fair comparison? I only say this as I thought about doing a similar comparative study but when I spoke to my supervisor about it I was warned against it for the above reasons.

I like that sound of a dissertation on the Anti- Partisan war though. Perhaps it would be worth looking deeper into it and writing about an aspect of the German experience rather than comparing it with anything?

I have come across a book called "The Phantom War: The German Struggle Against the Soviet Partisans 1941- 1944" by M. Cooper. Also just had a look on amazon and there is a book called "War in a Twilight World: Partisan and Anti- Partisan Warfare in Eastern Europe 1939- 1945" which may be of use.

Hope this helps

- - Updated - -

Looks like you beat me too it with the second book

Thanks for your advice Spitace41!
    I am thinking about using Kalyvas theories on collaboration and control as a framework.
    I want to look at the use of local groups as proxies by the US/Germans to fight against insurgents/partisans. Also I want to look at the "winning the hearts and minds of the occupied population" aspect.
    I get your point that there might be broad similarities, and that when I research deeper these might become less significant. But if that is the conclusion of my thesis it is not a bad thing right? I need to brainstorm a lot more on this:P

I really appreciate all the help you guys give me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast