Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help identifying German unit on wooden target/tropy c.1936

Article about: Hello- I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for any info on the military unit named on a 1936 German target/trophy. The top right corner is marked " 1. komp. E. Batl. 26 ". It is also

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    As I understand it (and I will gladly stand corrected if I got this wrong as this is all quite complicated), the peacetime Ergänzungsbataillone were integrated into the newly-raised "4th wave" divisions (losing their former designations in the process) and deployed at the time of mobilization in 1939, with the role of training fresh replacements taken over by the newly-raised Ersatzbataillone.

Ergänzung means replenishment, complement, expansion, supplementation etc., while Ersatz means replacement. Speaking from a purely semantic perspective, the former term does imply a build-up, whereas the latter implies replacing losses to maintain the status.
    Super Andreas!

Alles klar Herr Kommissar!
    (Yes I am old enough to have listened to "Pop around Europe" on BFBS in 1981 )

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying German unit on wooden target/tropy c.1936
    P
    Many

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Alles klar Herr Kommissar!
    (Yes I am old enough to have listened to "Pop around Europe" on BFBS in 1981 )
    A very hard song to get out of one's head, even decades later, innit?

Drah di net um, woh-oh-oh...

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    A very hard song to get out of one's head, even decades later, innit?

Drah di net um, woh-oh-oh...
    Ja, das stimmt genau!

Schau schau, der Kommissar geht um! Oh oh oh and let's not forget Amadeus either! Oops off topic but good for a chuckle!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-14-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Again- wow. I know for a fact that I would never have figured that out on my own. And, once again, I am extremely grateful to you (and the others) for sharing your expertise with a complete novice like me. I am much obliged...

?

Oops. That post was meant as a reply to comment #10 by HPL2008. Not sure what I did wrong.
    I wish each of you all the best...

According to Mitcham's book: Hitler's Legions: The German Army Order of Battle, World War II. The 35th I.R. was part of the 35th Infantry Division. The other units when formed in 1935-35, were: 109th and 111th I.Rs, 35th Arty Rgmt, 35th Recon, Panzerjager, Pioneer and Signals Btns-respectively. Other btns were also helped make up the rest of the division, but are not listed. I wonder how accurate Mitcham was on listing the unit composition of these divisions? I've found some omissions doing research on other units. For the most part, I think he did a very good job, but really needs to correct, add and update his books.

Anyway, the 34th I.R.s personnel were listed as being from Baden and Wurttemberg. When war broke out it first went to the West Wall in 39, first saw action in Belgium in 40 and later fought the B.E.F. around Dunkirk. In 41, went into Russia with Army Group Center and was with Hopner's 4th Pz Group on the drive to Moscow. By mid Oct the infantry Kompanies were down to an average strength of 30 men, but even then still was able to cross the Ruza River and took Volokolansk and captured 1,800 men. They then went on the defensive due to having exhausted ammo and other supplies, and so became stalled before the Russian capitol-suffering heavier casualties. They lost then about 2,500 men - which 1,000 were due to frostbite.

They were a burnt-out force by the end of the Soviet winter offensive, but stayed on the line until the Fall of 42-having been transferred to Army Group South in the process. They were brought up to strength during their time in AGS commanded by: Genmaj, Baron Rudolf von Roman, and again suffered heavy casualties in the retreat across Russia.

They returned to Army Group Center in the Spring of 43, taking part in the Rzhev withdrawell, then heavily engaged in the defensive fighting in the central sector during the summer of 43. Generalleutnant Ludwig Merker had by then assumed command leading the remnants against the massive Soviet summer offensive of 44. The 35th suffered such heavy casualties in the Battle of Bobruisk in July 44, that it had to be taken out of the line for the first time in three years. Rebuilt again, redesignated as a Volksgrenadier unit, went back to A.G.C-where it fought in the Battle of Narew. Under GenLt. Johan-Georg Richert, it was isolated in East Prussia in the final weeks of the war and surrendered to the Soviets a few days after Hitler's death.

The above-Mitcham's words-not mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2