Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Need info on the Blood Flag

Article about: Hi Can anyone add more information as to the wherabouts of the Blood Flag? What is known is that SS Standartenfuhrer Jacob Grimminger was the bearer of the Blutfahne and that the flag disapp

JMM
    ?

Default Re: Need info on the Blood Flag

Have to agree with you
    It would be a unique item for a WWII collector to own (if it still exits) but it's right place would be on a museum

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need info on the Blood Flag
    P
    Many

Museum is where it belongs but let just say it does turn up on the open market someday, anyone care to guess how much an item like that would sell for? I would guess that some super rich collector would plunk out a cool half a million for that baby.

It isnt to far fetch to think that it may have been destroyed during the war or it mistaken and sold to someone as "normal" party flag.
    Or its just being kept on some moisty attic.
    Just some possibilities.

Could you imagine all the research and documentation you would need to prove its real.

?

That would be the biggest problem, proving authenticity, in all likely hood it was destroyed but saying that it could also be adorning some collectors wall,think its just an ordinary party flag and without pole and inscriptions ,thats what it will remain, also if it exists i wonder if some bright spark had it dry cleaned????????

JMM
    ?

Thanks for all your replies fellows
    So sadly we can't know much about what happened with the flag after it was last seen in October 1944
    Fact: the flag was stored at the Brown House
    Fact: The Brown House was damaged in October 1943 and lately destroyed in an allied bombing. So if the flag was seen in 1944 maybe it was stored on another (safer place) after 1943 (that makes it even more difficult to trace...)
    So the options are:
    1- It was destroyed after the war
    2- It was sold as an ordinary party flag (and the owner doesn't even know...)
    3- It was given to someone the party trusted and kept safe till today (location unknown to the general public)

Personally. I tend to believe in the order you've listed. I highly doubt #3 ,that there is a "Keeper of the Grail" out there somewhere. Almost certainly, there would have been whispered rumours and word on it. It's a long stretch to think that there is/was a German version of the Fisher King faithfully guarding it for all these decades and his descendants also, without even a Peep of a word getting out. I think it is highly likely that it was simply destroyed and lost in the bombings as were so many Other treasures-both Third Reich and Other Historical pieces that vanished forever in the war. Remember, Many tens of millions of party flags were made in the 1933-1945 era and 90% of them were destroyed and disposed of after the war's disastrous conclusion. Only so many could have been taken away by Allied soldiers as souvenirs and the chances of the Blood Flag being amongst that number are slim indeed. It was, after all, not very spectacular looking-why would a GI grab That one when it was all stained and dirty when he could just as easily have picked up a fine looking Kriegs flag or State flag that was So much more impressive in appearance? No, I imagine, that If there had been traces of it found in the rubble that it would simply have been burnt and trashed with the rest of the "Nazi stuff".
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by davejb View Post
    That would be the biggest problem, proving authenticity, in all likely hood it was destroyed but saying that it could also be adorning some collectors wall,think its just an ordinary party flag and without pole and inscriptions ,thats what it will remain, also if it exists i wonder if some bright spark had it dry cleaned????????
    Oh dear... I wouldn't mind if it was destroyed during the war, neither if it was sold for a normal party flag, nor if it is on some collector's wall not even if it is still on an attic waiting there BUT DRY CLEANED??????? That sh*t can make me cry...

My scenarios:
    - it was destroyed during the war by bombing or fire
    - some GI took it as a trophy and lost / trade it with something more shiny (a Luger maybe)
    -it was transfered in the Bunker and after the Soviets entered it ended in the Parade of Shame at the Red Square and later was disposed
    -It is stored somewhere (c'mon we all want to believe this scenario is real) by someone
    -it was sold as an ordinary early flag to a collector who doesn't know the treasure he has
    -it was taken as a trophy by someone who cleaned it from the mess of the blood on it and made it unrecognizable
    -some GI cleaned his shoes with it or used it as a toilet paper or for wiping the oil off his weapon...

Quote by JMM View Post
    Thanks for all your replies fellows
    So sadly we can't know much about what happened with the flag after it was last seen in October 1944
    Fact: the flag was stored at the Brown House
    Fact: The Brown House was damaged in October 1943 and lately destroyed in an allied bombing. So if the flag was seen in 1944 maybe it was stored on another (safer place) after 1943 (that makes it even more difficult to trace...)
    So the options are:
    1- It was destroyed after the war
    2- It was sold as an ordinary party flag (and the owner doesn't even know...)
    3- It was given to someone the party trusted and kept safe till today (location unknown to the general public)
    My money is on number 2 if it still exists!...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast