Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Need Information on SS-Panz.Regt.1 / schw.SS-Panz.Abt.501

Article about: I was talking with a friend, and turns out her great grandpa served in the SS-Panzer Regiment 1, from sometime in the first half of 1943 until august 20, 1944, when he ran away from the schw

?

Default Need Information on SS-Panz.Regt.1 / schw.SS-Panz.Abt.501

I was talking with a friend, and turns out her great grandpa served in the SS-Panzer Regiment 1, from sometime in the first half of 1943 until august 20, 1944, when he ran away from the schw.SS-Panz.Abt.501, near Brussels. I was wondering if any of you skilled and knowledgeable people might know what tanks these regiment's used and maybe some important events/battles related to them? My friend would really appreciate the information.

Here's his full service record

6-11-1942 : Incorporated in the "Reichsarbeitsdienst" and assign to the "Abtlg. 5/322

28-12-1942 : he's free

after the list 31-1-1943 : incorporated in the "Wehrmacht" and assign to the "schw.Flak-Ers.Abt.39, Koblenz" (there's no exact date)

no date: moved to the "Waffen-SS"

6-7-1943: belonging to the 2.A.Kp/SS-Panz.Regt.1. Hospitalized in the SS-Lazarett Kharkov. Diagnosis, bursitis of of his left knee

11-7-1943: transfered to the SS-Lazarett KIEV, diagnosis, knee abscess

16-8-1943: out of the hospital, ready to go back. Sent back to his unit

20-8-1944: belonging to the 2.Kp/schw.SS-Panz.Abt.501, missing in the Brussels sector

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Information on SS-Panz.Regt.1 / schw.SS-Panz.Abt.501
    P
    Many

Best bet is to Google the Unit, friend...
    Glenn

?

I tried to google it but I was a bit confused by the regiments. It says the schw.SS-Panz.Abt.501 formed in September 1944, but his record says he disappeared from the regiment a month prior to it's existence. I'm not familiar with panzer regiments, so I was also curious what the A stood for in his company, (2.A.Kp/SS-Panz.Regt.1). I was also curious if it's possible to find out his exact tank number that he used or not? I was hoping someone that was more familiar with panzer regiments could point me in the right direction, I'm not adverse to turning over every stone myself on google. However, if someone already knows and is willing to jump start my research, I'd appreciate it.

Here is a brief history of s.SS-Pz.Abt 501 that might help you take the next step. Just click on the link and select the relevant unit...
    Lexikon der Wehrmacht

The chances of finding his tank number are slim unless he is mentioned in any files &/or books - slim but not impossible.
    The book Tigers In Combat Vols 1 & 2 cover Tiger units so will have some additional details and photos. 2.Kompanie was commanded by Michael Wittmann when he won the Swords to his Knights Cross.