Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need some help on a Regt

Article about: Hi Guys Trying to find out some information on Panzer Gren Regt 11 All I have so far is that they were stationed in and around Normandy at the time of the invasion. Can anyone shed any light

Default Need some help on a Regt

Hi Guys
    Trying to find out some information on Panzer Gren Regt 11
    All I have so far is that they were stationed in and around Normandy at the time of the invasion.
    Can anyone shed any light please? Any help will be appriciated

also Gren Rgt 390

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need some help on a Regt
    P
    Many

What time frame are you looking for? 9 Pz.Division wasn't deployed to Normandy until August 1944 with the main body of Pz.Gren.Rgt 11 deployed between Domfront and Mayenne to try and check the American advance toward Le Mans.
    By 10th August the division was in defence near Alencon.

This is a German situation Map for 1st August 1944 and as you can see, 9 Pz.Division was still in transit to the front from the south of France.

Need some help on a Regt

And this situation map from the Allied 12th Army Group - also for 1st August 1944 - correctly notes that 9 Pz.Div is believed to be in transit to the front.

Need some help on a Regt

?

John Gren regt 390 was part of 215 Infanterie Divison and spent most of the war on the Eastern Front as part of Armee Gruppe Nord !

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...onen/215ID.htm
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Here are two excerpts from the Lage Ost map for 31st January 1945 showing the Courland Pocket. I have ringed the position of 215 ID in one and zoomed in on the other.

Need some help on a Regt Need some help on a Regt

Wow Kev, Paul, thanks. It kinda helps a lot..............I get totally lost on these bits.

I have attached some scans of the SB. Is there anything there that puts him in Normandy at that time (august)?
    I have a list of other documents of his including:
    i kennkarte id card for his wife
    - civil wwii time driving licence
    - family history book ; ahnenpass
    - east front medal document
    - kraftfahrbewährungsabzeichen in gold document
    - kriegsverdienstkreuz mit schwerter document
    - verwundetenabzeichen in schwarz document (torn into 2 halfs sadly)
    the kraftfahrbewährungabzeiche in gold is signed by ritterkreuzträger and commander of the 9 panzer division oberstleutnant max sperling
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need some help on a Regt   Need some help on a Regt  

Need some help on a Regt   Need some help on a Regt  

Need some help on a Regt  

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Here are two excerpts from the Lage Ost map for 31st January 1945 showing the Courland Pocket. I have ringed the position of 215 ID in one and zoomed in on the other.

Need some help on a Regt Need some help on a Regt
    Thanks for that. I have a second set of documents for a guy in this Regt Black, silver AND gold wound badge citations

With regards to the soldier in 9 Pz.Division I would say that he was with the division during the Normandy campaign. He was with the regiment from around 1942 and there are entries related to Pz.Gren.Rgt 11 dated all the way up to September 1944.

As an aside - On 16 September 1944 General der Panzertruppe Erich Brandenberger, commander of the 7. Armee, visited the division and charged that the divisional commander Generalmajor Gerhard Müller was unaware of the situation on his front and relieved him and his operations officer (Ia) Oberstleutnant Johannes Troitzsch on the spot.
    Last edited by hucks216; 02-13-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks Kev. As always you give a lot more than asked for, and I appreciate that. No interesting signatures in the book then Just a shame a few pages are missing

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    No interesting signatures in the book then
    The second signature on the Leave page (the last image you showed) might be that of Hans-Henning Eichert who won the Ehnrenblattspange, DKiG & RK. He won all three with 6 Kompanie which this soldier also served in.