Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.

Article about: Caked in dust and full of turn-of-the century treasures, this Paris apartment is like going back in time. Having lain untouched for seven decades the abandoned home was discovered three year

?

The furniture alone is worth a small fortune. The dressing table is superb.

I would have expected more dust and cobwebs (my place generates that much in a week!) and more disintegration of the fabrics though.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.
    P
    Many

Doing abit of superficial snooping on this story, it seems that the apartment was originally owned by Marthe de Florian-the much famed Parisian Coquette who lived there in the 1890's and "entertained her suitors there". Among other treasures found inside were neatly beribboned tied bundles of her "suitors" love letters and calling cards-often with love notes hand written on their backs. The De Florian who fled to Southern France in 1940 was her grand daughter who did not Live there, in fact no one pretty much did until it was discovered in 2010-but the family Did faithfully keep up the rent and a maintenance fee. Apparently, when Marthe died, the family simply locked the doors and kept everything inside as it was left for unknown reasons (probably from politically correct secrecy, considering how many men of name and means she "knew"). Things are still veiled in secrecy, but Marthe was the lover of Giovanni Boldini (who painted her portrait in 1898 when she was 24 and at her pinnacle.), as well as one of the Prime Ministers of France- George Clemenceau, and several other society men. One can scarcely imagine the sights that the Ostrich must have been a witness to...lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It reminds me of the good old days!
    I did have the luck to stumble on houses to empty in the same spirit.
    Always a thrilling momment when entering such places, when you don't know where to look first.
    I must have had like 15 such discovery's.
    One a year was a good avarage, but that figure dropped down rather fast.....
    Thanks for showing.
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Cool story, but a shame they had to destroy it by cleaning and selling the things. Could have been a rather unusual and interesting museum or something similair.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Doing abit of superficial snooping on this story, it seems that the apartment was originally owned by Marthe de Florian-the much famed Parisian Coquette who lived there in the 1890's and "entertained her suitors there". Among other treasures found inside were neatly beribboned tied bundles of her "suitors" love letters and calling cards-often with love notes hand written on their backs. The De Florian who fled to Southern France in 1940 was her grand daughter who did not Live there, in fact no one pretty much did until it was discovered in 2010-but the family Did faithfully keep up the rent and a maintenance fee. Apparently, when Marthe died, the family simply locked the doors and kept everything inside as it was left for unknown reasons (probably from politically correct secrecy, considering how many men of name and means she "knew"). Things are still veiled in secrecy, but Marthe was the lover of Giovanni Boldini (who painted her portrait in 1898 when she was 24 and at her pinnacle.), as well as one of the Prime Ministers of France- George Clemenceau, and several other society men. One can scarcely imagine the sights that the Ostrich must have been a witness to...lol
    You really cannot beat a bit if historical sauce!! Sounds like this place has really seen some "interesting" times , I am surprised that Mickey hasn't covered his eyes and the ostriches feathers have not dropped off In shock!! Leon.

Quote by Dean View Post
    When I was a teenager, about 15 years old, I discovered an abandoned home down the street from my house. I crawled through a window and the home was fully furnished, but it looked as though a whole family just left everything behind during he 1950's or 60's! There was food in the fridge, canned goods in the pantry and rooms with beds and clothes in the closets. I even liberated some nice pullovers
    Cars in the garage, in back.. I found one room full of old newspapers from the 1930's-40's. I kept some with titles like," the Huns invaded Poland!" And the "the Japs are are on the run!" And stuff like that. I wish I still had these.
    Yes Dean, things like that occur here in the U.K. too.

We call it burglary.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Adrian View Post

I would have expected more dust and cobwebs (my place generates that much in a week!)
    Ufortunately things have gone downhill a bit at the Cawte Motel since the cleaner had that accident in the bathroom.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

there are still places like that in mainland Europe,there is a forum on the net for people who explore But don't touch old houses and factorys.

Now that's what you call a time capsule!....

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    there are still places like that in mainland Europe,there is a forum on the net for people who explore But don't touch old houses and factorys.
    Indeed someone like that found personal belongings and the entyre files of a great Belgian soldier , abandoned in a coner of a huge empty buiding.
    I wrote about it previously in a other threat.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast