Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Otto Funk - 12th SS

Article about: For those that dont already know Otto Funk died on Sunday 11th Sept 2011. This battle weary photo of him is iconic Nick

R.I.P. Otto

But... check video at 5:14 is there second from the left Otto Funk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df6n...85027636#t=317

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Otto Funk - 12th SS
    P
    Many

?

No these guys are from the LAH and much discussion has gone on as to identify them and the bloke facing the camera in particular !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Is this Otto on the left or not?

Otto Funk - 12th SS

No its not Otto Funk, he is also known but I forget his name !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Ok, thanks! I think this guy is in the movie.

I remember his name, its Panzer Grenadier Walter Ambrusch

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I seem to recall that it was somehow proven that it was not Walter Ambrusch after all and that the current/most believable theory was that his name was Hans Tragarsky... certainly an iconic shot either way.

Just wanted to add that even though there's no real evidence for "Hans Tragarsky" either ( a claim from a 4 post member on axishistory), which in reality makes the soldier unidentified, here's a post re. the "Walther Ambrusch/Armbrust" theory from the same forum made by someone that actually seems to be able to disprove this Ambrusch/Armbrust "myth" with some certainty (going by knowledge shown):
    He's never been identified and never will be. Only thing that is known is that he was in the LAH and probably from 1. Pz Gren Regt.
    In the past a name, Walter Armbrust, has been given, but this was a misunderstanding. (Armbrust is in fact the MG42 gunner with pea dot jacket in another group of Pz Grenadiers - wrong name, different photo).
    I guess this soldier still remains unnamed... the names currently circulating seem to be based on either speculation or simple misunderstandings.

?

"Wenn alle Bruder schweigen" is coming true. Being born in the late 50's, I grew up surrounded by WWII vets. Now they are all disappearing way too fast... RIP Otto, you earned it!

?

As i said the soldier in the photo has been the subject of much debate but the bottom line is that no one really knows who he is and we will probably never know.

Just to clarify the fact that this man is not Otto , he was wounded in Normandy 0n 26.6.1944 , he didn't fight in the Ardennes and only returned to the HJ Div in Hungary in 1945.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4