Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Recently acquired Nazi locker

Article about: Hi all, i'm an american living in berlin, and i just recently bought this wooden locker at a small shop here in town. Only after getting it home and removing the interior shelves for a littl

wallup
    ?

Default Recently acquired Nazi locker

Hi all, i'm an american living in berlin, and i just recently bought this wooden locker at a small shop here in town. Only after getting it home and removing the interior shelves for a little cleanup did we find the swastika/eagle and Heeres Unterkunft marks pictured here. At first i thought, well, isn't that interesting, and i have picked up a few third reich things just from living here and am quite appreciative of the history and presence of these objects. though my german wife wasn't too thrilled about it, we kept it and it looks good in the house.

however, i just got around to some more extensive googling, and the only other object of similar (nearly identical) make and design that i've tracked down on the web is, unfortunately, this one (scroll down just a tad). Though the one pictured is a double and our is a single, it is otherwise identical in layout and fabrication.

So, i am wondering if any of you can tell me whether this is a general-use army issue item that happened to be also used in a concentration camp, or is it unique to that use? If that's the case, the coffin-like shape might be a little more than i can bear.

thanks for your help,
    wallup

Recently acquired Nazi lockerRecently acquired Nazi lockerRecently acquired Nazi locker

2. # ADS

Default Re: Recently acquired Nazi locker

Welcome to the forum! The locker ooks very similar to the one in the link. Maybe lockers like that were used at various barracks and such. If it really is a piece from a camp, that would be scary.

That shure looks similar to me. hopefully someone here will be able to tell us what the H.U. marking is. That may tell the story.

Thanks
    Burt

Hi wallup, welcome to THE forum!

Don't worry about any KZ links to your item, it's just a standard forces locker.

These are called 'Sind' in German, and the one you have is marked 'H.U' which stands for 'Heeres Unterkunft' or 'Land Forces Accomodation'. They are often stamped with the date of manufacture too. These came as singles and doubles and are fairly common, I've seen them on E-bay for as little as 20 Euro's (buyer collects!), but they are a really nice bit of kit that is often overlooked by collectors; just think of the possibilities for using it as a central part for displaying uniforms, hats, helmets, boots, rifles and other equpment?

Here's a linky thing to a lot more info about these lockers on WAF. There are links within the link, it's great! All you need to know, and with excellent photo's too.

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums - Search Results

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

wallup
    ?

thanks for the replies! and thanks ned for the information and link. i really thought it looked like general-issue material, and it's nice to know it can stay in the house.

best,
    wallup