Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Researching my father in law Ost front ww2

Article about: Hello everyone, I have been asked by my mother in law if I could carryout research on my father in law who died in the 70's. I am aware that he was enlisted in Berlin late in 1944 at the age

Default Researching my father in law Ost front ww2

Hello everyone,

I have been asked by my mother in law if I could carryout research on my father in law who died in the 70's.

I am aware that he was enlisted in Berlin late in 1944 at the age of 17 and was present at the Oderbruch during the soviet offensive there. He was wounded (gun shot to lower leg) captured and released and finished the war as a pow with the British on the Luneburger heide.

I was hoping that members here may be able to inform me if there is an agency in Germany that relatives can apply to in order to obtain military records relating to their relatives.

I am sure that I have seen a thread on WRF giving contact details of such an agency however despite searching have been unable to locate it.

Many thanks in advance

Robin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Researching my father in law Ost front ww2
    P
    Many

Hi Robin,

try Deutsche Dienststelle: DEUTSCHE DIENSTSTELLE (WASt)

But be patient, it can take up to one year before you'll get an answer.

Cheers, Mads

Thanks Mads I will get onto it.

Mads, Just checked that site and it would appear that they only give info on soldiers killed in action. My father in law survived the war and died in the 70's

You can apply for his service record as you are next of kin.

Bundesarchiv - Military bodies and associations

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade, Will contact them and when research finished post details here. I am also in the process of researching a great aunt who died on the Wilhelm Gustloff and was married to what my mother in law calls a high ranking Nazi.

Sounds interesting. Good luck!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Sorry Robin, I didnt see your post before now.

Ade, I thought the archive in Freiburg only had records of officers, would I be able to get a record from Freiburg of a nco who was KIA?

Cheers, Mads

?

No help at all Robin but good luck with your quest & keep us informed.. Cheers Terry