Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rochus Misch Book

Article about: great thread................looking forward to more snippets

?

Default Rochus Misch Book

Some of you may remember the wonderful gift that I received from my good lady last year. Knowing that I am interested in all things Third Reich, she bought the Rochus Misch book (her native Czech language edition), and proceeded to translate it, without my knowledge, and then had it printed and presented it to me. Very much a labour of love one could say, and something that I shall cherish forever.

Anyway, I received a few messages asking me for copies, but as I explained, this wouldn't be "the right thing to do". Instead, I have created this thread, which when I have time, I shall update with some of the more interesting notes from the book.

As a note to those that are not familiar with Herr Misch, he was an SS Oberscharfuhrer in the LAH, and served as a telephone operator, courier and bodyguard for Adolf Hitler for the majority of the war. He is the last living survivor of the Fuhrerbunker during the final days of the war in Europe, and although 94 years old, and sadly in a state of ill health, he still lives not far from the site of the Fuhrerbunker in Berlin today.

The book begins with the usual background to the man's life. His early years, when he was raised by his grandparents etc. Moving on to the war, he was seriously injured, almost losing his life in fact, in Poland whilst negotiating the surrender of Polish troops at Modlin. Misch was shot in the back, the bullet fortunately missing his heart, narrowly, and he later recovered and was transfered to LSSAH, who were not in front-line service. Rochus Misch was awarded the Eisernes Kreuz, 2nd class.

When he met Hitler for the first time, he was understandably very nervous, but remained calm when introduced. Hitler asked a member of his staff "Do we have anyone from Silesia?", to which the reply was "No, my Fuhrer." Misch was then taken on, and his first task was to deliver some mail and a parcel to Hitler's sister.

More to follow...

Regards,

Carl

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rochus Misch Book
    P
    Many

Default Re: Rochus Misch Book

Thanks for posting this, Carl. It will be great to read more tid-bits from
    the book. Just your mentioning of him being shot in the back and
    transfered off the line to a 'safer' job is interesting
    in itself.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Indeed, I too am looking forward to following this thread

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Indeed, I too am looking forward to following this thread

Nick
    I concur! His life really does interest me.

Mat

?

So, a little more...

I found it interesting how Herr Misch wrote his opinions on the "Downfall" movie, starring Bruno Ganz as Adolf Hitler, and based on the final days of the Third Reich, and primarily the unfolding events down in the Fuhrerbunker in Berlin, as the approaching Red Army came ever nearer. Misch didn't go into great detail, but did stress that the film, good though it is, is rather "Hollywood" as he called it. By this, he meant that the actors, and Ganz in particular, exaggerated the hysterics that we see on screen. Herr Misch said that Hitler was far calmer in the bunker than is portrayed in the movie, and that he never heard any screaming or fist thumping.

A few of the personal memories Rochus Misch shared in his book include the following little story...

One day, when the Fuhrersonderzug (Hitler's "Special Train") that in the early part of the war was called "Amerika", and later, following America's entry into the war, was named "Brandenburg", had stopped on its way to its destination, everybody alighted at the station, and stetched their legs for a while. Misch was stood on the platform, quite relaxed and no doubt enjoying the tranquility of the moment, when upon his back slapped a hand, startling him in an instant and causing him to turn swiftly, only to realise that the hand belonged to Hitler, who simply wanted to walk past. A moment that must have brought him amusement whenever he later recalled it, I would assume.

Another episode soon.

Regards,

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images Rochus Misch Book 

Thanks Carl, this is really interesting, greatly appreciate you posting these pieces from the book as I can't speak or read German but would love to read Rochus Misch's book.

Thanks for posting that, interesting to read. I wasn't aware that 'Amerika' was re-named, it hadn't crossed my mind that the name probably wouldn't have stuck for long after their participation in the war!

Also, on the subject of Misch- some time ago, I read of a film being produced on Misch's life, might have even been this year. Does anyone have any info on that, or updates on if it's still going ahead? I've searched but not found anything more on it.

Mat

?

Quote by ToxicGas View Post

Also, on the subject of Misch- some time ago, I read of a film being produced on Misch's life, might have even been this year. Does anyone have any info on that, or updates on if it's still going ahead? I've searched but not found anything more on it.

Mat
    Hi Mat,

Yes, as it stands, the film is still ongoing, although quite where they are up to at the moment is unbeknownst to me. Rochus Misch, when giving his final interview last year, said that he thought that the movie would hopefully be made this year, although I must add, and it is sad to say it, but he himself said that he doesn't expect to see it, due to the deterioration of his health last year. One can only hope that he does see it.

Regards,

Carl

It's good just to hear it's in the works still Carl, I really hope it's done well. I must have read the same article as you, where he mentioned he doubted he himself would live to see it- it is sad, and I agree, I hope so too.

I look forward to hearing more from the book.

Mat

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Thanks Carl, this is really interesting, greatly appreciate you posting these pieces from the book as I can't speak or read German but would love to read Rochus Misch's book.
    You're welcome mate, no problem. A few people asked about it, and I remember how I wanted to read it so much, but thought that it would never happen...until my good lady sprung the surprise! Anyway, it is quite a small book, certainly not a lengthy read, so by the time I have added a few more of these posts, you'll know most of it.

Regards,

Carl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast