Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

S.S.Breman

Article about: Just a stab in the dark here.Does anyone on the site know anything about the S.S.Bremen that was active in Trans Atlantic passenger from 1929 to her destruction in 1941.The reason I am askin

Default S.S.Breman

S.S.BremanS.S.BremanS.S.BremanS.S.BremanS.S.BremanJust a stab in the dark here.Does anyone on the site know anything about the S.S.Bremen that was active in Trans Atlantic passenger from 1929 to her destruction in 1941.The reason I am asking is that I have come across a wooden model 44 in long 8 in high and 8 in across.She was in terrible shape when I found her in a attic in Ohio.I took the ship home and started to restore during restoration I was convinced this was not a child's toy or a ''model'' kit I think it may have been used as a display in a travel agency or at the North German Lines office.This thing is well made with several types of wood and very detailed.Does anyone know about ships.When I found it the poor thing had been used as a birds best and all the paint was peeling off but it was solid made.The reason I think it was a display is because it has a flat hollow bottom from stern to bow,I have enclosed some photos.Can anyone tell me what I have

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S.S.Breman
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: S.S.Breman

Hi Operaman,

I believe that the ship was in the plans for Operation Sea Lion, the aborted invasion of Great Britain. Later in the war, she was set alight by an ex-crew member who held a grudge...and was gutted. Then later, in 1946, she was broken up.

A model was sold at Christies last year, for a sum near 5,000 USD.

Below are a couple of images of the S.S.Bremen, including a shot of her whilst under construction.

Regards,

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images S.S.Breman  S.S.Breman