Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Secret bunkers in Berchtesgaden/Berghof

Article about: Does anyone have some info regarding this subject? By the facts, third reich leaders paradise, there has to be some undiscovered bunkers or safe rooms!

Default Secret bunkers in Berchtesgaden/Berghof

Does anyone have some info regarding this subject?
    Regarding the facts, third reich leaders paradise, there has to be some undiscovered bunkers or safe rooms!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Secret bunkers in Berchtesgaden/Berghof
    P
    Many

?

The underground tunnel system beneath the Platterhof Hotel is well known - see the link below for further information (a site I found quite interesting):

Exploring the Secret Nazi Tunnels Under a German Vacation Town | Atlas Obscura

It must be said too that the Nazis chose a beautiful site for their Alpine retreat...Berchtesgaden and the surrounding area are truly stunning and well worthy of a visit, and do take the tour to the nearby Eagle's Nest on Mt.Kehlstein - although very little remains of Hitler's Berghof, the Adlerhorst survived intact and is worth the trip. Again, see link below:

Das Kehlsteinhaus auf dem Obersalzberg in Berchtesgaden - Home

The first time I visited the area (some years ago now), I was fortunate to make the acquaintance of a British veteran who was returning for his 20th visit. Earlier, he had married a German lady post war. She had five brothers, one of whom was SSLAH during WWII who eventually, after some years, became friends with said veteran. During one of his earlier visits to the Kehlsteinhaus, the SS veteran (a 6'6" Riese) was lying down on the floor of the shuttle bus that transports visitors to the top, shaking and stating how he couldn't go on...much to the amusement of the slightly built British veteran, who wondered aloud "how many rows of trees would we take out if we went over the edge now..?"

Carl

CARL88,

Thanks for your unique story!
    Just amazing, this is what this forum is about!

I myself has only been to Das Kehlsteinhaus once, 20 years ago, but my most vivid memory was the elevator.
    Besides Das Kehlsteinhaus, there is the wall paintings on the post office walls in Berchtesgaden (by the train station) and the Wehrmachts Kasernen in Berchtesgaden, situated in the same buildings as of the second world war.

?

The elevator is truly something special...as is the marble lined tunnel that leads to its antechamber, yet the whole site is a most impressive feat of engineering...regardless of what AH thought - reportedly, once presented with his special 50th birthday gift, Hitler turned to Martin Bormann and stated "Bormann, you certainly know how to waste money"

The paintings mentioned above are also a must see if in the town, which in itself, is a fine locale.

Carl

p.s. If anyone does plan on visiting the site of the Adlerhorst, be wary of the time of year - weather plays a big part in ventures up the 1,834m Kehlstein, and the views, which can be spectacular, once there.

A myth, and I might be wrong, wasn't Hitler afraid of heights?
    And did he not only visit Das Kehlsteinhaus 14theen times?

?

Yes, it has been reported that he suffered from vertigo and thus, did not visit the site regularly.

When we are at the secrets of Berghof, Görings wine celler?
    Does anyone have some info regarding this subject?
    Why does collectors from Ukraine ring a bell regarding Görings wine collection?

Default Berghof karte

Map:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Secret bunkers in Berchtesgaden/Berghof  

one interesting link:
    Misc. Buildings
    regarding this subject.